Sign in to follow this  

Am I too Fat for a CRF 250?

I am new here at TT. A little about myself:

I am thinking of getting back into MX just for recreational riding with friends. I used to ride over 10 years ago and have not ridden since. I am now closing in on 45 and pushing 230lbs. I am a small (well ok short) guy at 5' 6". Back when I rode I was about 185-190 and started when I was about 33.

I started on a 89 CR125 and about a year later moved to a 98 CR250. I made the 250 move mainly because all the guys I rode with were were on 250s. I only rode about 3 years total, before stopping. (Never had dirtbikes as a kid etc.).

My thoughts... I know my size probably would dictate a 450, but when I made the move from the 125 to 250 years ago, I remember how much I missed the smaller size of the 125 and confidence I had on it. Sure I like the additional power of the 250, but it came with me slowing down overall because of the size and probably more hesitation/fear of the bigger bike and my ability to "throw" it around.

I am not concerned about the power differences between the 4 stroke 250 and 450... I guess my main question would be could the suspension handle or be made to handle my larger size? :ride:

I would be looking at something used, probably 07 or newer. Am I foolish to think I could make the CRF 250 work well for me?

Thoughts and Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rayo

(ps. years ago we all hung out at dirtrider.net, did the open rides at Redbud, LogRoad and other tracks in the Northern Indiana area... 4 strokes were just coming to be available.)

The bike should be able to pull you around. If you were on a 125 when you were just under 2 bills, the 250f should work just fine. I am in the same boat as you... although I am only 30. But I have definitely packed on the pounds. But the bike should pull you around and you should be able to have some fun. If anything, getting back into riding will help get you back into better shape. I say go for it. I never let my size determine what bike I get, but rather what I think I can actually handle without getting myself into too much trouble.

Key is to get your suspension set up for your size and type of riding you will be doing.

Yes... I always felt the 125 had plenty of power for my skills. When I switched to the 250... did it make it easier to make doubles and such? Sure... it did seem a bit more effortless... but at a cost. I did not feel I could come burning into a turn as hot, or come out of it as fast.. heck my feet barely could touch, I pretty much tip-toed on the 250. Even getting it up on the stand was more of a chore just because of the extra initial height.

Do you think the stock 250 suspension has enough room for adjustments or would I be looking at replacement/stiffer springs etc.?

I never had any custom suspension work done on my previous bikes. Just adjusted ride height in the rear and rode them the way I got them. The guys I rode with had a number of bikes done by Jeremy with MX-Tech... I always wanted to invest in a pro doing up the suspension, but then got out of the sport.

Dude...250F all the way! I had a 450 and hated it...the weight of it is killer in the woods. The 250F does everything I want it to do. I miss the power of the 450 now and again, but its not worth the weight difference. The 250f will also make you drop a few pounds, you really have to work it!

I think that the 250f is an awesome bike, and if you find that you need more power...Athena makes some 290 kits!

Good luck in your search.

The 250 will haul your lard butt around just fine. LOLOL. Hey, It hauls mine just fine and I weigh about the same, however got 10-11 inches height on ya.

as said before, you can kick the 250 around easier. and... where my buddies 450's are overheating in the tight stuff, my 250 doesn't. Plus, it's much easier to get the lighter bike off your butt when you dump it.

You will probably need stiffer springs, seems like bikes are sprung for those around the 170's maybe... at least that is what I hear every now and again. It may work for you stock, it certainly wouldn't do any harm in trying it out to get it broke in and see how it feels and works for you.

I was the same way, I always just got my bike and rode it, never worried about much set up, and I never had any problems back in the day.

The 250 will haul your lard butt around just fine. LOLOL. Hey, It hauls mine just fine and I weigh about the same, however got 10-11 inches height on ya.

as said before, you can kick the 250 around easier. and... where my buddies 450's are overheating in the tight stuff, my 250 doesn't. Plus, it's much easier to get the lighter bike off your butt when you dump it.

Dude... cut that crap out, warn me next time your are going to be funny!!! I had just taken a good gulp of cherry coke and there I am trying to catch what was running out my nose before it got on my shirt!!!

Good to hear all these positive comments. And yup I dump bikes a lot, mainly in turns ya know cross rut etc. So easily getting out from under it is important. :lol: My toolbox mainly consisted of levers and perches as far as spares go... when ASVs came out... it was like they made them just for me.

Another question, when folks say 250F, is that the same as a CRF 250R ? I am not really a woods, trails guy, prefer MX track type riding. I have enough trouble keep it up on two wheels without adding in trees buzzing past my head and handle bars. :ride:

LOL.. The 250 is a good bike. .....and the ASV levers were made for my sorry butt. Levers and aluminum throttle tubes went through a ton. LOLOLOL. I was going broke replacing my stock levers and tubes.

Dude... cut that crap out, warn me next time your are going to be funny!!! I had just taken a good gulp of cherry coke and there I am trying to catch what was running out my nose before it got on my shirt!!!

Good to hear all these positive comments. And yup I dump bikes a lot, mainly in turns ya know cross rut etc. So easily getting out from under it is important. :lol: My toolbox mainly consisted of levers and perches as far as spares go... when ASVs came out... it was like they made them just for me.

Another question, when folks say 250F, is that the same as a CRF 250R ? I am not really a woods, trails guy, prefer MX track type riding. I have enough trouble keep it up on two wheels without adding in trees buzzing past my head and handle bars. :ride:

6'4"/250lbs. and Im on a 250F (YZ). It does have 450F springs in it though.

Why not a 150sx.

Gonna be to small. Not to mention, other then maybe as a pit bike, I would never live down the Heckling!!! :ride:

6'4"/250lbs. and Im on a 250F (YZ). It does have 450F springs in it though.

Cool... do you know if the Honda springs work that way as well? Meaning, can you get 450 springs to fit a 250? Bare with me, I have been away from the sport for a long time. Trying to get caught up.

Do you have any power concerns? What kind of riding do you do?

I gotta go the other way on this. I have been racing a 2007 yz250f in vet class for three years. I am 6'2" 185 and if you are gonna ride mx-tracks, any up-hill section or a step-up will really make you wish you had more power.

Wait until you are trying to make a table-table combo or a double-jump and the run-up is sloppy or rutty...you are gonna have to decide, as a new rider, do I go or do I back-off?

If you were below 200 I would say what you will learn from the smaller bike would be worth the power-deficit, but after you beef-up your suspension and start saving-up for the inevitable 290 kit..you will be asking yourself why you didn't buy the 450f instead.

I am switching to my new 2010 yz450 this year. Just sayin'....

You'll be fine with a CRF250R and stiffer springs. There are many computerized "spring generators" on the internet to give you an idea on spring rates for your weight. It might be that CRF450R springs are fine for you.

I am 225lb (w/o gear) and run 5.8kg/mm on the shock and .49kg/mm on the front of 2009 and prior CRF250R, much stiffer than a stock 450's springs of 5.5kg/mm and .46-.47kg/mm. Depends on the rider, ability, intended terrain, etc...

Have fun!

Cool... do you know if the Honda springs work that way as well? Meaning, can you get 450 springs to fit a 250? Bare with me, I have been away from the sport for a long time. Trying to get caught up.

Do you have any power concerns? What kind of riding do you do?

I stopped riding in '01 and came off a '00 CR250 2T. My 250F does everything I want it to do. I ride a lot in a whooped out gravel pit that has some fairly large hills. When mine needs a rebuild it will get a 290 kit. I only changed the springs because I want to do some MX stuff and the stock springs were too light for that.

I am not really a woods, trails guy, prefer MX track type riding. I have enough trouble keep it up on two wheels without adding in trees buzzing past my head and handle bars. :ride:

Just have to read the guys posts, he says he is mostly riding track. Why all the info that refers to trail riding? This guy wants to do jumps, not tool around the woods. How is the suspension mod gonna help the whole power to weight ratio thing? I mean c'mon! It is ok to ride an underpowered bike when you are not trying to clear things...but a 225lb guys not clearing a table-top even, will result in a massive suspension rattling bounce right over the landing ramp.

While I have no-doubt that you can beef-up a suspension to absorb all you can dish-out, and you can place a big-bore kit on it to try and solve the power deficit, why not just begin with a bike you know you will grow into, rather than one that is ill-fitting from day-one...and as you get more proficient as your skill set returns, you will regret your decision everytime you ride with your buddies, who sprung for a 450.

I ride Service Honda CR500AF and many years of CRF450R. I just took a 2008 CRF250R to the local indoor MX track and didn't have a problem at all. I honestly thought I would and even figured I would have a horrible time (lack of relative power, too small, etc) but I had a great time. All my buddies were riding 450 and I was with or ahead of them all day. Well, all but one! Mark. But I was trying and I had him in my sights for the first time in a while!

Sure, there will be instances where the 450's power could be used, but I weigh 225 and that 250 moved me around pretty damned good. IMO, the overall handling and cornering ability (and feel) more than make up for the lack of power as compared to a 450. Indeed, I would prefer a 250 at that track. It isn't too terribly tight an indoor track, either, with many 4th-5th gear areas on it and sandy, which sucks up more power.

The real question is: Would I be upset if I didn't have a 450 (or 500-2) to ride and only had a 250-4? I guess the real question is up to the rider and the intended track. I can tell you that I would NOT want a 250-4 at Southwick in that sand... Most other places I think I'd be ok with the 250-4, and I'd be able to live with it rather nicely.

I might state that I put a rather nice suspension set on the 250-4 for my recent indoor mx track ride, but that doesn't give it more power. Sure, maybe put the power to the ground a bit better, but I am not that great a rider...

Ed

I ride Service Honda CR500AF and many years of CRF450R. I just took a 2008 CRF250R to the local indoor MX track and didn't have a problem at all. I honestly thought I would and even figured I would have a horrible time (lack of relative power, too small, etc) but I had a great time. All my buddies were riding 450 and I was with or ahead of them all day. Well, all but one! Mark. But I was trying and I had him in my sights for the first time in a while!

Sure, there will be instances where the 450's power could be used, but I weigh 225 and that 250 moved me around pretty damned good. IMO, the overall handling and cornering ability (and feel) more than make up for the lack of power as compared to a 450. Indeed, I would prefer a 250 at that track. It isn't too terribly tight an indoor track, either, with many 4th-5th gear areas on it and sandy, which sucks up more power.

The real question is: Would I be upset if I didn't have a 450 (or 500-2) to ride and only had a 250-4? I guess the real question is up to the rider and the intended track. I can tell you that I would NOT want a 250-4 at Southwick in that sand... Most other places I think I'd be ok with the 250-4, and I'd be able to live with it rather nicely.

I might state that I put a rather nice suspension set on the 250-4 for my recent indoor mx track ride, but that doesn't give it more power. Sure, maybe put the power to the ground a bit better, but I am not that great a rider...

Ed

Ed,

Your weight and age seem to mirror mine. The comments you make about improved cornering and handling is exactly what I am interested in hearing. Giving your experience riding the CRF450, how much different would you say the two bikes feel from a size, "throw around" ability?

As I mentioned in my initial comments, my desires here are mainly related to my initial learning over 10 years ago on the 125, I felt really comfortable on it. When I switched to the 250r (2-strokes of course)... although I enjoyed the extra power, I felt like I gave up so much control and nimbleness. Also... this may sound weird, but on the 125 I felt like I was learning more... making the bike power out of the corners, ya know, sliding in and powering out at the apex. Once on the 250, I felt I got lazy, just leaving it in 2nd, bumbling around the track, not using the clutch to my advantage etc.

I have been away for sooo long, and gotten way out of shape, thus my focus on the CRF 250. Heck, even if I am only on it for a year or two, if I can gain that confidence back... it would be worth it. I hear what others are saying about just going with the 450 now, and not looking back. But... I fear I will be VERY hesitant with it and due to its size, extra weight of the bike etc. will find myself scared, just like when I made the switch to the 250 2-stroke years ago. Sure I got used to it, but it always felt big, and I am not sure I rode it long enough to ever get as comfortable on it as I was on the 125.

Keep the opinions coming... And when you consider suspension issues, although I have ridden in tracks in the woods... I much prefer the open layout of a true MX track. And... although speed is fun, my enjoyment was the air. I never did triples or any tricks, but hitting a long table-top or easy double... that feeling of air then a proper landing down the far side... just awesome. Was I scared I was going to die while I was in the air... sure, but that is what made it fun.