Jack vs Arnold

this story came to mind re folks asking about advice to "bulk up" for the bike. Sorry I can't find an article reporting about the story, all I can find so far is various comments in different places, no "documented proof" but plenty of consistent anecdotal accounts(if anybody know where an article might be I'd love to have it)...

In the 1970s when Jack Lalanne was 60, he found a beefy monster called Arnold Schwartzenegger(about 27) and challenged him to an informal pushup/chinup contest, basically see who can do the most. Jack won.

Total real life example of what kind of training we need to shoot for with riding. Not to mention I would say Jack ALSO had a mental edge over Arnold that helped put him over the top.

(I thought this would make a good discussion? :ride:) Whaddya think?

Issues of total body unit strength and endurance and how mass affects endurance. Also I would say Jack had(ha, still has) better cardio fitness than Arnold.

Buck that HEY!

Edited by Plushpuppy

I don't think Arnold was training for fitness anyway, just size.

What was known about fitness in the 70’s compared to now is drastically different. If you are an athlete focused on one aspect of the game you may not become very good at others. The key is finding a balance of what your end goals are.

In the example of Jack vs. Arnold in chin up’s it’s not a reasonable comparison. Arnold weighted substantially more than Jack so one could argue that the amount of pull-ups he did far exceeded the work that Jack did doing his. The amount of work done can be calculated by the formula W(work)=F(force)XD(distance). Without knowing how many chin-up’s the two did we can’t answer who did more work however I’m willing to bet Arnold did more. If they both chose to try a pull down machine set to Jacks body weight (similar to a pull up) and then both went for maximum reps the winner could have been different. This would be two people moving the exact same mass in the same way to determine who could do more work.

If you know the demands of the activity you are trying to maximize your performance in then the training should be tailored to provide the expected results. Muscle mass can in some cases impact long interval endurance events because it takes energy to move weight and feed the muscle cells with nutrients and therefore the reserves will be depleted faster.

sorry I meant to write it was pushups and chinups (fixed it).

Great thread:thumbsup:

I went riding once with big guy (muscle) he went to gym at least 5 times a week, ate right etc etc etc

He was dead within an hour, just go's to show......

A personal trainer to one of our top riders told me that the last thing you want when racing off road bike (Mx and off road) are big muscles or unnesasary bulk.

That is why I am trying to cut down on my size, I am a big guy (mostly muscle) and my endurance is not what it could be......

Muscle mass can in some cases impact long interval endurance events because it takes energy to move weight and feed the muscle cells with nutrients and therefore the reserves will be depleted faster.

see that's good poop right there!

Great thread:thumbsup:

I went riding once with big guy (muscle) he went to gym at least 5 times a week, ate right etc etc etc

He was dead within an hour, just go's to show......

A personal trainer to one of our top riders told me that the last thing you want when racing off road bike (Mx and off road) are big muscles or unnesasary bulk.

That is why I am trying to cut down on my size, I am a big guy (mostly muscle) and my endurance is not what it could be......

yeah, all the top riders are what you call "wiry". I'm trying to be wiry