Sign in to follow this  

New to crf250r's any help?

Let me start by saying I've already gone through the common FAQ's section.

I just bought a 2004 crf250r for $1400, it has a new clutch, top end, valves, and fork seals. So question 1- was this a decent deal???

Any little tips or tricks I should know on these? Things to look out for?? What maintenance should I stay on top of (aside from oil changes)? I'm coming off a 98 yz400f so have been used to a heavier bigger yamaha thumper.

Also any tips on reasonably priced worthwhile upgrades I should look into. Any help is appreciated.

I've read in a few threads here that if it's the original cylinder still on there, they're prone to crack. MotoX_2005 knows quite a lot about the 04's and 05's. He'll pipe in after a while and give you more on it. My reccommendations on it is just make sure you re-seal the air box to the air boot and do pretty much the same that you were doing with the 400 you had. I think $1400 was a pretty good deal knowing what was just done with it was probably 1/2 the cost of what you paid for it. I hear of guys paying that much for the same year that the bike doesn't even run.

Good deal.....I just sold a 2003 RM 250 for $1200.....

I bought a 04crf250 in January of 05 for $3600 and sold it summer 07 for $2200.

Mine was a nice handling bike....I just weighed too much for it ,and the clutch got overworked in long rides.

If you decide to keep it and have any valve issues....I recommend Ron Hamp to to repair the head and install his ferrea valves.....then you should have lots of dependable life of your head/valve train.

later.

hows it going, as with any other bike it requires maintenance and being an 04 was the bottom end ever rebuilt? some 04s had crappy cylinders, installing an cut 05 cylinder eliminates this issue, also reseal the airbox, im doing an 05's airbox as we speak if you do a little search you will find that the air boot is double flanged where it goes into the airbox, and six little studs, remove the nuts and remove the metal ring, silicone around the inside and over the rubber seal that the ring covers... other then that change the oil every 4 hours or so with a good quality oil (tranny 8 hrs) and check valves every 20 hrs.. look in the crf450r forum and at the top there is a A.P. mod thread, do this to the bike as well.. good luck

hows it going, as with any other bike it requires maintenance and being an 04 was the bottom end ever rebuilt? some 04s had crappy cylinders, installing an cut 05 cylinder eliminates this issue, also reseal the airbox, im doing an 05's airbox as we speak if you do a little search you will find that the air boot is double flanged where it goes into the airbox, and six little studs, remove the nuts and remove the metal ring, silicone around the inside and over the rubber seal that the ring covers... other then that change the oil every 4 hours or so with a good quality oil (tranny 8 hrs) and check valves every 20 hrs.. look in the crf450r forum and at the top there is a A.P. mod thread, do this to the bike as well.. good luck

how do you know so much about bikes dude?

Reasearch, hands on experience, talking to professionals... thatd be my guess.

yep pretty much it but also through experience, school, work and keeping it as a hobby as well..

i know a bit about these bikes but there are quite a few others on here that can chime in as well, charlie does a good a job when help is needed :ride: