Sign in to follow this  

KMX125 and KDX125 same bike??

Hi, I found a KDX125 on the net for sale. Thinking of buuying it as I like the KDX 200 but bit too tall for me in rough trail. Thought the 125 would be lots of :banana:fun! The thing is when I do a search on a KDX125 I can find very little. But there is a KMX125 that seems common in the UK, does anyone know if they are the same bike just labled differently?:ride:

i did a quick image search on the google...

the bikes look vastly different, KMX looks more dual puprose while the KDX looks more off-roadish..

If you do a google search, look close and you will see:

different frame types, pipes, swingarm, etc...

Your quite right, I should have taken a closer look. Still liking the KDX, I cannot find much info on them. Does anyone know how good they are. The KDX200 is very popular over here and known for ease of use/good power/reliability. Just wondering if the 125 is as good. Obviously it wont be as powerful but then it will be lighter to match.

The kdx125 is a fun little bike. Very rare in the states and quite difficult to get parts for. The 200 is much better bike, and seat height is not much different. You can always shave the seat, add lowering links, drop the forks, etc.

...You can always shave the seat, add lowering links, drop the forks, etc.

+1

I'm only 5'8" and 150lbs and I handle the 200 with no problem. With the possible lowering mods juliend mentioned, you should be able to get it to fit you.

I have had KDX's in the USA but I also lived in the Philippines for 5 years. They sell both there. I got a KMX125 brand new in 1999. They are not the same bike at all. I could find parts on the KMX common to many other Kawasaki models, might even be some KX80 parts on there. I had to put a 13 tooth front sprocket on it in order to get anything out of that bike. I also ran full knobby tires on there. I ran it once in a small time MX race. My class was full of other KMX's, DT125's and XR200's. The KMX's ruled that day!

+1

I'm only 5'8" and 150lbs and I handle the 200 with no problem.

Are you referring to the 1990 in your signature? I've got a '90 KDX200 (parts bike) and a '97 KDX220 and I'm pretty sure the '97 is a significantly bigger bike. (I haven't put a tape measure to them to verify.)

Are you referring to the 1990 in your signature? I've got a '90 KDX200 (parts bike) and a '97 KDX220 and I'm pretty sure the '97 is a significantly bigger bike. (I haven't put a tape measure to them to verify.)

Yep.

I show the '90 KDX200 seat height at 35.83" and the '97 KDX200 and 220 at 36.4". That is just a liitle over .5" difference and that isn't much IMO.

I show the '90 KDX200 seat height at 35.83" and the '97 KDX200 and 220 at 36.4". That is just a liitle over .5" difference and that isn't much IMO.

Thanks for clarifying. :ride: The biggest difference on mine may be the tires. The tires on the '97 are almost new and the rear tire on the '90 has no knobbies left in the middle (the '90 has been badly abused/neglected).

i think ull find that the kdx200 is actually lighter, i own an 04 kdx125 sr, dont think there are anything else other than 125sr's and it is heavier than the kdx200 by a bit, spec on paper wise

still its light as hell and really well balanced, but i am going to sell mine and get a 200, the 125 u have to hit everything steep wide open throttle top notch full of momentum to get up

awesome bike thou,

just did 1000kms straight on it, gravel roads and some tracks

I had a '97 streetlegal KMX125 at one time, after removing all the restrictors it became a fun little bike, but not good at offroading at all, more DS as someone already mentioned.

but both of them got the same engine to my knowledge, and a 200cc cylinder will basicly bolt right on a kmx\kdx engine.