Crf 450 x eastern trails

How are these on tight slippery Eastern trails. Having trouble picking a new bike.

I like my 450 but when its very slick and tight I should be riding a 250. LOL

The 450X is the best bike out there for just about any kind of riding that there is.

The 450X is the best bike out there for just about any kind of riding that there is.

Very hard to argue that after 5 years of production. It's a heavy bike though.

my 250x is pretty good in the slick crap in ny state, even the clay on the southerntier area.

I love my 450X and trail ride in NC and southren WV all the time. The clay in NC is like grease when it is wet. The stock front tire will cause the bike to was out, it needs one with a stiffer side wall. I used a Michelin M12. I am going to try the MH3 next. I am just a fan of Michelin, great quality. The bike is heavy. If you are getting that kind of money why not by a 450X for trail riding and a 250 2 stroke for racing?

I have a 2000 CR250R that I use for hare scrambles. Its great to trail ride and practice on the 450X and when you get on the 250R it feels like it is 1/2 the size, quick and nimble. You have to drive it a little more, but its light and fast. The biggest issue I have with my 250R is convincing my 17 year old that it is mine.

I love my 450X and trail ride in NC and southren WV all the time. The clay in NC is like grease when it is wet. The stock front tire will cause the bike to was out, it needs one with a stiffer side wall. I used a Michelin M12. I am going to try the MH3 next. I am just a fan of Michelin, great quality. The bike is heavy. If you are getting that kind of money why not by a 450X for trail riding and a 250 2 stroke for racing?

I have a 2000 CR250R that I use for hare scrambles. Its great to trail ride and practice on the 450X and when you get on the 250R it feels like it is 1/2 the size, quick and nimble. You have to drive it a little more, but its light and fast. The biggest issue I have with my 250R is convincing my 17 year old that it is mine.

I hear yea, wish Honda built updated 2 stroke. I just rode my buddie's 250 ktoom and it is light and fast. :ride:

I would respectfully disagree with this. The 450X was born and bred out of Baja. It's the little brother to the 650 and was designed to go fast in a straight line. It is not a trail bike from birth and handles like crap in tight stuff and it takes a very delicate throttle hand to keep that rear wheel under control in the mud.

That being said, it is certainly a versatile bike and can do a lot, but it's not a great trail bike. If I was looking to buy a bike exclusively for "Eastern trails" I'd look at KTM's or the new Husabergs or maybe the Honda 250X, but that really depends on how tight and nasty you like your trails.

I live and ride in WV, and I ride a 450x. While big and heavy, it's still a great trail bike. The E-start helps alot. Has plenty on bottom for goin' over trees and stuff, and when it opens up, WOW!!! It's not the best out there for the tightest stuff, but really, really good.

we rode all day in very, VERY wet and VERY slippery and snowy conditoins today and my X did great except for my bald front tire.. and the michelin S12 rear sucks.. just ranting a little lol. oh yea, we rode single track!

I ride mine in tight NY and Vt trails all day. While it can be pretty tiring, i enjoy the bike. Has pretty good power i think (mine is stock) and handles good enough for what i need it for. Of course i would love a 250cc two stroke in my stable, but funds and limited space kill that idea for now...