Sign in to follow this  

Another Motovan Thread

Hey Guys,

Been watching the various motovan threads and they've been very helpful. Need some advice on the type of van. I've been looking at an Extended Ford E350 Passenger Van. I need the second row of seats and figure I'll just remove the other rows.

My question is does the headliner and rear a/c heat duct that runs the length of the van ceiling interfere with getting two bikes in and out? It looks like the height is 3-4" shorter than a straight cargo van and I don't want to have to rotate the bars/handguards each time I load the bikes?

If anyone is using a passenger van in this way I'd welcome any comments. If possible, pics would help as well.

I have two full size KTM's with 20mm bar risers.

Thx

I kept the headliner in for probably the first year I had my van. Basically you get a knuckle burn when you push the bikes in and out. But it really doesn't get in the way too much. It was enough to get annoying. I was pushing in CRF450X, CRF250X, XR650R, XR650L on a regular basis and not having to do anything strange like bringing the bike in at a 45 degree angle.

The knuckle burn would get old and I did want the extra headroom so eventually I cut the headliner out about 6 inches in front of the partition. I do enjoy the extra room when loading the bikes and you get a little extra room to stand a little taller when moving around back there.

I will try and post photos of my set up this weekend.

Please do thunderchicken.

I put an update in my thread tonight and am at the point of thinking *** to do with the headliner. Did you just leave the ac/heat vent where it was and let it shoot straight up?

Thanks

I kept the headliner in for probably the first year I had my van. Basically you get a knuckle burn when you push the bikes in and out. But it really doesn't get in the way too much. It was enough to get annoying. I was pushing in CRF450X, CRF250X, XR650R, XR650L on a regular basis and not having to do anything strange like bringing the bike in at a 45 degree angle.

The knuckle burn would get old and I did want the extra headroom so eventually I cut the headliner out about 6 inches in front of the partition. I do enjoy the extra room when loading the bikes and you get a little extra room to stand a little taller when moving around back there.

I will try and post photos of my set up this weekend.

Some guys that use astrovans around my area with tall bars just take a tie down from the handlebars to the bottom of the fork before loading which compresses the suspension a couple inches to give plenty of room for the handlebars to get in. The only reason they hit is the angle of loading.

Please do thunderchicken.

I put an update in my thread tonight and am at the point of thinking *** to do with the headliner. Did you just leave the ac/heat vent where it was and let it shoot straight up?

Thanks

Yeah the AC just shoots out the center gap in the headliner. It's not clean looking back there but it is what it is. I kept the secondary unit down on the left side of the floor as it's nice to have heat back there where changing gear. Plus we take our dogs on road trips in the summer and they can stay back there with their own air.

I have a kitchen pass to work on bikes tomorrow so I'll take some time to take some pics of my van a post a thread showing my setup.

BTW, I just did two trips with the van today from Home Depot with 25 bags of mulch in the back. You really don't give up much to a truck with a van. The only rub is no 4X4 but the next step for me is to get the limited slip rear dif.

I am also building an extended passenger e350 and it does give you the knuckle burn if you aren't careful. The tie-down from the bar to the fork bottom works if you have tall bars. I run carmichael bend pro tapers so the height isn't really an issue. You just need to know that it is tight and take it easy. I have kids and need the van as a daily driver so hacking the interior up wasn't really a good option. I'll get some pics up in the next few days if it stays dry out here.