Swing arm Bearings

I got the swing arm off my new bike, after driving the rusted axle out with a sludge hammer and punch for 30 minutes.

The bearings were totally shot, I drove one side out with a socket to fit the race and a larger socket on the other side and just used my table vice to push it out.

I tried the other side and after turning the vice for awhile with a hammer "SNAP" I broke the vice right in half!:ride: Now i'm out the cost of a new vice and have no way of getting the other side out.

Is there any other way of driving them out? Or am I going to need a new vice or find somebody with a press?

Have you tried using PB Blaster on them? I've been very impressed with its ability to reduce the torque needed to break loose stuck and rusted threads, so maybe it would work in this application as well.

Heat the outside with a torch. It will expand and "let it go".

And before the new ones go in,hone the holes with emery cloth to get rid of any burrs that you might of gotten while pounding out the old ones.Press them in too...with your 'new' vise.

Heat the outside with a torch. It will expand and "let it go".

And before the new ones go in,hone the holes with emery cloth to get rid of any burrs that you might of gotten while pounding out the old ones.Press them in too...with your 'new' vise.

I let it soak in PB over night, Tried to drive it out again with no luck. At work today I pretty much melted the other one out and cleaned it up with some 80 grit. What a pain :ride: thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by XRToecutter