Help me decide Plated XR650R with electric start or DRZ400E plated

I haven't seen any of these in person yet, probably going to have to have a non biased third party, maybe some one off here or the ST1300 forums to look at them for me, since I do not have time to go look for a few weeks.

For some reason, I seem to prefer the XR, always liked them, I want a bike to play around up in the Sierras, fire roads, trails, climb some hills, maybe go play in the desert, if I ride on the road, it would probably only be 45-50 miles to get to the trails, but most likely will truck it to the hills.

2003 XR650R with electric start, stock and aftermarket exhaust and fuel tanks, 250W stator, looks like it's in very good condition, sounds like it's been meticulously maintained, owner says low hours, $3200 firm

2002 DRZ400E plated stock but extra desert tank, Ohlins rear shock, looks very clean in pics, low miles, not sure how many yet? asking $3200

2001 DRZ400E Plated all stock, looks pretty clean, no graphics, owner says it's well maintained. $2600 OBO

Any advantages besides power or disadvantages of the XR over the DRZ?

There are also several stock and well modded S model DRZ with under 4000 miles for around $2500-3200 to pick from.

I haven't seen any of these in person yet, probably going to have to have a non biased third party, maybe some one off here or the ST1300 forums to look at them for me, since I do not have time to go look for a few weeks.

For some reason, I seem to prefer the XR, always liked them, I want a bike to play around up in the Sierras, fire roads, trails, climb some hills, maybe go play in the desert, if I ride on the road, it would probably only be 45-50 miles to get to the trails, but most likely will truck it to the hills.

2003 XR650R with electric start, stock and aftermarket exhaust and fuel tanks, 250W stator, looks like it's in very good condition, sounds like it's been meticulously maintained, owner says low hours, $3200 firm

2002 DRZ400E plated stock but extra desert tank, Ohlins rear shock, looks very clean in pics, low miles, not sure how many yet? asking $3200

2001 DRZ400E Plated all stock, looks pretty clean, no graphics, owner says it's well maintained. $2600 OBO

Any advantages besides power or disadvantages of the XR over the DRZ?

There are also several stock and well modded S model DRZ with under 4000 miles for around $2500-3200 to pick from.

i would get the drz as they are very popular dual sport bikes lots available for them. lots of power,very durable.

As a XR650R owner and my regular riding buddy is on the DRZ, I along with him would put a vote for the XR. Now if your a small rider with short legs go with the DRZ.

XR for sure, why would you even consider a drz over a plated 650r ? and that xr has a $$$$ starter on it

Yah I'm really wanting the XR, was just wondering if there were actually any disadvantages to the XR, with Electric start, I cant think of any.

Test ride them both. The XR will run away from the DRZ, power-wise. If you find the XR too tall or intimidating, the DRZ might be better for you.

Also, the XR has more than enough power for long freeway hauls. Well, as long as you can stand riding a thumper down the freeway, anyway. The DRZ, not much power at freeway speeds.

Both bikes have a good reputation for reliability (my XR's 10 years old, and still runs like new). Both have a big aftermarket. Also, remember that the XR's aftermarket starter is a coveted item. That alone makes it worth a little more to certain people.

Get out and take a look, take a ride, and decide whch one is best for what you want to do. Honda and Suzuki make the most reliable bikes on the planet, IMHO. It's just a question of personal taste.

EDIT: Let me add that the XR is going to go through tires and other consumable parts faster than the DRZ. It's hard to resist having all that power on tap!

Test ride them both. The XR will run away from the DRZ, power-wise. If you find the XR too tall or intimidating, the DRZ might be better for you.

Also, the XR has more than enough power for long freeway hauls. Well, as long as you can stand riding a thumper down the freeway, anyway. The DRZ, not much power at freeway speeds.

Both bikes have a good reputation for reliability (my XR's 10 years old, and still runs like new). Both have a big aftermarket. Also, remember that the XR's aftermarket starter is a coveted item. That alone makes it worth a little more to certain people.

Get out and take a look, take a ride, and decide whch one is best for what you want to do. Honda and Suzuki make the most reliable bikes on the planet, IMHO. It's just a question of personal taste.

EDIT: Let me add that the XR is going to go through tires and other consumable parts faster than the DRZ. It's hard to resist having all that power on tap!

Most of my bikes have been Honda or Suzuki, and I'm used to going through tires, my Hayabusa was a tire eater, my Blackbirds liked tires too, but not nearly as much as the Busa, I'm not worried about the XR being intimidating, I'm worried about the DRZ being dogish, height shouldn't be a problem with either bike, the XR is tall, but I should be ok on it,

Let me add that the XR is going to go through tires

aint that the truth!!

I have a 2004 drz 400s and i have loved it i keep a 13 tooth front sprocket and can do 100 mph on highway and have been able to keep up fairly well on expert single track trails in the rocky mountains of colorado. My only complaint with the drz is its weight so i am looking at a 300 ktm. I dont think weight is in issue for you. As far as power i am sure that xr has more but as for me a 180 six foot rider it has been plenty for me in rough rock terrain