2000 XR 80 newer plastic fittament?

I have searched and not found this, but does anyone know if newer style plastic/seat (2001+) will fit on a older style (2000-) model XR80? I have been looking at pictures they appear to be identical frames, but I am probably missing something. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear. Thanks.

Does this mean nobody knows or you don't want to talk to a noob?

Thanks for all of the help. Really makes a new guy feel welcome!

if nobody knows, nobody will respond. that's the way it works.

newbie or not. :ride:

Frames might be exactly the same but the mounting tabs might be welded in different locations. If you can relocate the mounting tabs (if needed) then you can make them work.

if nobody knows, nobody will respond. that's the way it works.

newbie or not. :ride:

I understand that, but I am sure someone has tried it with all of the Frankenbikes on here.

Frames are different. You need a 2001 and up frame, seat, tank, plastics and exhaust. I did this a couple years ago, just wanted an updated look. Scour ebay you can usually pick up parts cheap. It only took me about 4-5 hours to swap everything over. I got a brand new Maier black plastic set with graphics for like 80 bucks. frame was like 75-100 and seat and tank were like 75. You can recover about 125-150 by selling your old plastics, seat and frame. Good luck!

Frames are different. You need a 2001 and up frame, seat, tank, plastics and exhaust. I did this a couple years ago, just wanted an updated look. Scour ebay you can usually pick up parts cheap. It only took me about 4-5 hours to swap everything over. I got a brand new Maier black plastic set with graphics for like 80 bucks. frame was like 75-100 and seat and tank were like 75. You can recover about 125-150 by selling your old plastics, seat and frame. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I hadn't even thought about a frame swap. Does everything swap out from the 2000 such as triple tree, swingarm, air box...etc. While we are on the subject, what is the newest year frame, tank etc that the engine and other components will fit in? Thanks

Edited by uneasy_rider

Yup everything is bolt and go. I believe 01-03 are the parts you'll need. I actually swapped everything from a 95 xr 80 into an 01 frame. Oh, and a little help if you didn't already know, 01-03 xr100 frame, seat, tank, plastics etc, are the same as an 80. I swapped into xr100 frame.

If you can weld, you can put the newer stuff on the olders bike

If you can weld, you can put the newer stuff on the olders bike

Well, i have been welding for about 20 years, so what is needed to make then fit? That could save me some major coin.

i would spend my $ on a 01 up xr100 swingarm and linkage and big bore kit, i pesonally like the looks of the old school xr's just my 2 cents

Cut the back air box mount and flip it around. Make some tabs and add some tubing on the rear section and your good to go. 1/2 day or so to get everything just right and lined up.

Then his seat and back fender will fit? I never really looked into it, I just swapped it.

Cut the back air box mount and flip it around. Make some tabs and add some tubing on the rear section and your good to go. 1/2 day or so to get everything just right and lined up.

Does anyone have any pics of this mod? That would be alot of help. Thanks

i would spend my $ on a 01 up xr100 swingarm and linkage and big bore kit, i pesonally like the looks of the old school xr's just my 2 cents

What is the benefit to the 01 swingarm and linkage? I just got the XR, so I am pretty new to modifying it. I like the looks of it, but I have owned a 250 and 400 and had the worst time getting the stickers to stay put!

Edited by uneasy_rider

it'll raise up the rear about a 1", you'll also need a xr 100 brake rod and a longer chain

Does anyone have any pics of this mod? That would be alot of help. Thanks

1987 XR100 frame with 2009 CRF bodywork. Just welded new tank, seat, rear fender, and sidepanel mounting points.

100chassis.jpg

CRF4-1.jpg

Did you replate your front forks? They look awesome! Bike looks great with the new body work.

Did you replate your front forks? They look awesome! Bike looks great with the new body work.

Yeah, those are the 1987 OEM XR100 Forks that I had green TiNitride coated. The lowers were powder coated a root beer-colored brown. They're sitting in my garage now. Swapped them out with a set of inverted forks.

That looks awsome! I stopped by my local Honda shop and looked at the new XR's and it appears that the pipes on the rear (at the fender) aren't really necessary, did I miss something? Did you swap to a 17" front tire? What size rear are you running?