How hot should my regulator get.

The regulator gets hot. The bike will not rev over idle. I unplug it, it runs fine.

If you read my last post you would know I'm having trouble with 02 (new to me) drz.

My posts were very long and I figured no one would read them all to find out that I'm to this point in my quest to get it running and help.

The regulator gets hot. The bike will not rev over idle. I unplug it, it runs fine.

Mine gets warm, 145f after 5 min, at idle.

I cant touch mine for more than a a sec. Is that normal? Do you think that's my problem?

I cant touch mine for more than a a sec. Is that normal? Do you think that's my problem?

I measured the temp, with a temp gun, I can hold the back of my fingres on reg. You need Eddie, noble, Bronko those guys are sharp. Try a new post, Bike runs fine for 2 min.

I read that and I checked everything, I can recheck it but it checked out ok. in that link it states "There is no good way to test the regulator except by elimination of all other problems" Eddie you are one of the few people that knows that I have done that. The only thing that has made the problem go away is unplugging the regulator. I would have just bought a new one but there like 130 bucks and I want o make sure thats the problem before I fork out the coins. It is an intermittent problem that only pops up when the regulator in too hot to touch if I let it cool down and plug it in it will not cause the prop until it heats up. It's hard to check it while its that hot but I will try.

do you know anyone with DRZ ? ask if you can try their reg

Nope anyone in Vegas want to help me out?

Just an FYI...

I've never noticed mine getting hot, so that should be a good indicator that yours is not happy.

It will get warm... but not to the burring level.

Your stator develops 200 watts all the time. If your battery is fully charged, you bike is only using part of the output for the head light and tail light. Assuming yours is a stock 02, you may be consuming 60 watts, your headlight using 35 watts. Ever put your hand in front of it? Gets pretty warm. Well your regulator has to dissipate about 140 watts of unneeded power, about four times what your head light uses. So yes, getting hot enough to burn you is normal, hence the deep cooling fins.

You say the will idle normally but stall when you rev it however, if you unplug the RR, it revs fine. Did you do the stator tests? Did you put a volt meter on the battery with everything connected and check the levels?

Were in Vegas are you. I'm at Silveraldo and Spencer.
where are you man....i live on las vegas blvd at silvarado ranch near south point.
where are you man....i live on las vegas blvd at silvarado ranch near south point.

hay bro my buddy and i are going ridding this mourning till about 1.00 pm if you would like give me a call at 702-523-4854 and remember we will be ridding so leve ms a message and if we are still out we will stop by.

cool sheik is stopping by thanks everyone.

Your stator develops 200 watts all the time. If your battery is fully charged, you bike is only using part of the output for the head light and tail light. Assuming yours is a stock 02, you may be consuming 60 watts, your headlight using 35 watts. Ever put your hand in front of it? Gets pretty warm. Well your regulator has to dissipate about 140 watts of unneeded power, about four times what your head light uses. So yes, getting hot enough to burn you is normal, hence the deep cooling fins.

You say the will idle normally but stall when you rev it however, if you unplug the RR, it revs fine. Did you do the stator tests? Did you put a volt meter on the battery with everything connected and check the levels?

Yes I did the stator test and put the volt meter on everything I could think of. It all tested out ok if not high. it was reading around 15.5 volts to the battery.

I also tested the RR hot and the readings just bounced around I could not get a good read.

We put sheik's RR on it dropped my volts to around 13.5 and ran like a champ. We put mine back on (which did not look like his at all) they said it looked like it came off another bike (it was much smaller). My volts went up to 15.5 at idle and 16.5 at 3000 rpm, and would not run over idle half the time. So we found my problem.

A very big thank you to sheik and JUNURE.

I already put the part on order. will update when it comes in.

Oh ya, his RR stayed way cooler than mine.

journey - RR failures are rare but it sounds like you got one. So it wasn't even a Suzuki regulator. I suspect the CDI is programed to shut down with excess voltage as a safety feature.

William - The RR does not disapate the unused power as heat in the RR. The heat is just from the inefficiency of the rectifier diodes. The regulation occures before the rectification so the RR actually runs cooler when in full regulation. The 3 phase stator out-puts are grounded to each other for regulation. There was a real good explanation of how this all works last fall. I don't remember the posters names. I think my question was "where does the power go?" And thanks to TT, now I know.

Maybe? I couldn't find one person that had the same problem as me in all the threads (and I searched for hours) When the new one comes in I will post an update, maybe it will help someone.