2002 rm 250

I just got this bike yesterday, and am new to the 2 stroke bike world. Seems that I have a "spooge" problem, I'm guessing it's the black stuff coming out of the exhaust and getting on the rear fender. What would be causing this and how do I fix it. I've included a link to a picture of it.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/jramsey8258/RM250002.jpg

Thanks

J.D.

WOW. It does have a spooge problem. First start by replacing the top end. That's a rule when buying a used 2 smoker. Then use some good premix oil, get a fresh plug and jet correctly. Almost forgot to mention, repack the silencer. It looks as if the spooge on the swingarm is coming from the connection of the pipe and the mufler. Put some high temp silicone there. Search these forums there is lots of good info. Also, check the FAQ jetting section to get an idea on jetting.

def repack the silencer, also it might me a good idea to burn off or clean out all that extra oil in the pipe, the oil will blow out the pipe for some time even after the repairs, i.e. topend, jetting!

I watched them do a compression check on it before i bought it, 180 psi, piston/rings should be good right?

Tons of info in the Suzuki FAQs sticky.

heres a jetting link from that sticky.......

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412662

Best to rebuild the top end and check the crank seals. Do a search on bad top ends and you'll find hundreds of guys that wished they replaced their topends as soon as they bought the bike. Also clean the pipe and the powervalve really well and be sure to repack the silencer.

Good luck

+1 For top end rebuilds immediately.

Your Lucky day......THAT is a 2004...with a 2001 seat.......the brakes....look at the discs and the rear brake resorvoir , showa suspension, tank graphics say 2004......

Awesome score !!!!

You are probably not jetted right for the Bill's pipe.....too rich.......you should have a 45 or a 48 pilot jet stock.....you should go to a 42 or a 45 and maybe it will clean up your jetting some.

Your Lucky day......THAT is a 2004...with a 2001 seat.......the brakes....look at the discs and the rear brake resorvoir , showa suspension, tank graphics say 2004......

Awesome score !!!!

You are probably not jetted right for the Bill's pipe.....too rich.......you should have a 45 or a 48 pilot jet stock.....you should go to a 42 or a 45 and maybe it will clean up your jetting some.

Good snag!:ride:

Yeah look at the cylinder, straight up and down.....

I would post a vin# and a motor# just to be sure.

From the sound of things seems I got a great deal, I only paid $1400 for it. Where would I look for the vin and motor number? Sorry for sounding like a complete moron, just new to bikes. How can you tell what kinda suspension it has?

From the sound of things seems I got a great deal, I only paid $1400 for it. Where would I look for the vin and motor number? Sorry for sounding like a complete moron, just new to bikes. How can you tell what kinda suspension it has?

On the steering stem (on the frame), to the right side, as you're sitting on the bike. It can be hard to see, so look closely.

As for the other parts, the fork coloring tells a lot - The Showas are more gold in color, while the KYBs (01-03 standard on RM250s) is less gold and more of a matte nickel/silver color. RM250's from 01-03 got KYB, while 04+ got Showas.

Other interesting parts are the brake rotors, which are not 2001 stock, and the airbox, rear number plates, all which say newer than 2001.

After you get the VIN, go here and decode it:

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/suzuki.asp

Let us know!

I checked the VIN and it is an 04. Guess the dealer didn't check it, they advertised it as an 02.