Sign in to follow this  

smr tire question?

how long does your rear tire last on your smr? i've barely got 1000miles on my 09 smr and the tire is already showing signs of major wear? its all been freeway miles with a few trips on the curves. is the stock tire no good for freeway speeds?

My stock Dunlop D253 was shot in way less than 1K miles, so nothing to surprising about your wear rate

I wore out the stock Dunlop on my SMR right at 1K miles... I wouldn't say I was riding "nice", but no shenanigans either.

I've been told the the widely spaced "power pulses" of a big single contribute to the advanced tire wear.

Same here, oem Dunlop worn past bars by 1000mi. Replaced with Bridgestone BT016 and they wear much longer, almost 1000mi on them and still lots of tread left. The multi-compound provides great traction when leaned way over as well.

dang thats annoying to know that the tires don't last long! looks like im going to have to shop for a better tire then!

does anyone know if i can use a 160/60r17 instead of a 150/60r17 on a 09 smr510?

does anyone know if i can use a 160/60r17 instead of a 150/60r17 on a 09 smr510?

You can use it but the profile of the tire won't be right, your stock rim is 4.25", for a 150 tire, a 160 tire is made for a 5" or 4.5" rim

Head on over to SMJ. (supermotojunkie.c o m) Lots of people run that size and like it better. The profile is not the issue, downfall is hitting or real close to the chain.

My next rear will be the 160.

Head on over to SMJ. (supermotojunkie.c o m) Lots of people run that size and like it better. The profile is not the issue, downfall is hitting or real close to the chain.

My next rear will be the 160.

If your going to ride it hard or race you will want a 5" rim and a 160 tire and offset it to the right about a 1/4" or it will hit the chain. Street riding you can easily use the 160 on the 4.25" rim, you won't ever hit the edge, or at least I didn't (the chicken strips will be bigger) The picture is of my '06 smr510 with a Michelin pilot race tire on a 5" rim offset a 1/4". I think this is the Ideal set up.

smrmods019.jpg

The chain still slaps the tire but no problems.

ayden510027.jpg

My stock tire was gone in 1,200 miles. Tires in general don't last to long on the rears of SMRs.

If you watch the way Jim Carrey rode that Aprilia in the movie "Yes" you'll know why.

:ride:

I use Avon AV 50 pro extreme rain race tires They go everywhere every time.....

When you roll out through four gears past a cop in the pouring rain they want to know who you are....

I'm getting about 400 miles per rear...1300 on the front.......guess it doesn't spend too much time on th ground xcept for curves....I'm fitting a new front this march......

I put a set of Michelin Pilots on it this summer and it realy limmited my riding but I was getting good wear about six hundred miles and looking o.k....But I put the AV 's back on cause they are soo friggin awesome............

Does anyome have any experiance with the Avon Distanzias?

I plan to use my 04 smr for around town and some adv riding arounf the National forests, as well as keeping it fun in the twisties. I am ok with sacrificing some street/dirt/longivity to have and all around tire that fits my needs.

I was wondering if these have been used. The stock size tires currently on my smr already rub the exhaust and a little rubber transfer on the fork tubes (the seller said this is normal, is that true, casue it only really rubs on the left fork tube.)

My hope is that the more aggressive tread blocks will still fit and clear the forks better.

AVON DISTANZIA 120/70HR-17 FRONT

AVON DISTANZIA 150/60HR-17 REAR

Also, is this the tallest I can go. Cause for my style of riding, I will do anything to stretch out the gears a little more.

I plane on going up a tooth or two on the countershaft sprocket already. Just want to relax a little more, im weird. I don't live in the mountains....if I did, I would leave the gearing alone.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Gvilleracer

that is not normal to have the stock tires rubing anything! could you provide pictures, cause i just cant picture how the tire rubs the exhaust?

Does anyome have any experiance with the Avon Distanzias?

I plan to use my 04 smr for around town and some adv riding arounf the National forests, as well as keeping it fun in the twisties. I am ok with sacrificing some street/dirt/longivity to have and all around tire that fits my needs.

I was wondering if these have been used. The stock size tires currently on my smr already rub the exhaust and a little rubber transfer on the fork tubes (the seller said this is normal, is that true, casue it only really rubs on the left fork tube.)

My hope is that the more aggressive tread blocks will still fit and clear the forks better.

AVON DISTANZIA 120/70HR-17 FRONT

AVON DISTANZIA 150/60HR-17 REAR

Also, is this the tallest I can go. Cause for my style of riding, I will do anything to stretch out the gears a little more.

I plane on going up a tooth or two on the countershaft sprocket already. Just want to relax a little more, im weird. I don't live in the mountains....if I did, I would leave the gearing alone.

Thanks for any advice.

My '06 SMR 510 has a 5" rim offset to the right and a 160 tire and it still doesn't rub the exhaust.

I brought my camera to work with me today and will take some pics of it before heading home. I spoke to two guys and they said its normal, which is bothering me.

It is a 04' 450 with the stock tires off a 08' 510. The owner swapped the 510's tires on to the 450 as soon as he bought it so he could test some other sumo tires on the 510.

OK here are the pics.

I plan to switch to Avon Distanzias soon.

If anyone knows a way I can adjust this. It seems like poor placement.

I was told by the seller that this was normal on the 04's.

Nothng seems loose or mounted wrong.

Motorcycledamage012.jpg

Motorcycledamage014.jpg

front

Motorcycledamage016.jpg

Motorcycledamage017.jpg

Motorcycledamage018.jpg

Edited by Gvilleracer

OK here are the pics.

I plan to switch to Avon Distanzias soon.

If anyone knows a way I can adjust this. It seems like poor placement.

I was told by the seller that this was normal on the 04's.

Nothng seems loose or mounted wrong.

Motorcycledamage012.jpg

Motorcycledamage014.jpg

front

Motorcycledamage016.jpg

Motorcycledamage017.jpg

Motorcycledamage018.jpg

What size tires do you have on it now? There really shouldn't be any rub with stock sized tires, especially on the front. I also have an 04 SMR so I will double check mine when I get home, but I don't remember ever seeing any rubbing.