Sign in to follow this  

California Rasor Road

I have a trip planned to go out to Rasor in a couple weeks. I have a Yamaha YZ250F. Am i gonna need a paddle out there?

Does anyone know the terrain of Rasor? Is it all sand? Any dirt areas? i really dislike the sand but i was told there's many non-sand areas.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated....

I have a trip planned to go out to Rasor in a couple weeks. I have a Yamaha YZ250F. Am i gonna need a paddle out there?

Does anyone know the terrain of Rasor? Is it all sand? Any dirt areas? i really dislike the sand but i was told there's many non-sand areas.

There is sand, but it's not Glammis. I would not consider a paddle tire there, but I tend to go for some longer rides well outside of the open area. It's kind of different from the other open areas. Most of the open zone is very lightly used. Not too many defined trails. Good for general exploring. A ride through Afton Cyn is just about mandatory, just be careful with the big water hole and the end. It's a good place to turn around.

Ive heard this same question before and the answer is absolutely not. Its not the dunes. I dont know where guys are getting info from, but no.

And I dont think any of it is OPEN riding area, as in ride where ever you want.

Am I wrong? Also, in the Mojave Preserve you need to have a license plate. Not going to get very far on Rasor rd before u hit the Preserve, I think.

SlowXR crossed the water hole last Sun. after the western wallop and it didnt look any deeper than last year when I did it.

Dont like sand? Then that is where u should ride till u figure it out. I find it odd when guys steer away from their weeknesses. Do u want to be a better rider?

Rasor has 22,500 acres of open area. It does have some open flatter sand and and some sand in one hill side zone that a kind of like dunes. One thing is sure. If you go to Rasor you will ride sand.

Here are a few sites with some pics. I think they kind of over emphasize the dunes.

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_rasor_dunes.htm

http://www.ohvguide.com/maps/rasorroad.htm

Edited by cleonard

Rasor has 22,500 acres of open area. It does have some open flatter sand and and some sand in one hill side zone that a kind of like dunes. One thing is sure. If you go to Rasor you will ride sand.

Here are a few sites with some pics. I think they kind of over emphasize the dunes.

Wasnt aware of the open area. Thanks. Ill have to check maps and try to take advantage of that next time I go thru there.

And thanks for the informative links. Looks like almost unused area.

Your killing me Chad.

You know me. Im a D I C K !

I suck at sand riding too! Not gonna go around it though.

Just so you know, the dune pics in those links are pretty much the extent of the 'dunes' there. Not worthy of running a paddle on a bike by any means.

Besides the small dune section, there's both rocky and smooth sand washes, some sandy trails, a bunch of hard pack trails with rocks scattered here and there, some dry lake beds and some loamy sand areas at the base of the hills. It's a pretty small place and very easy to get into where you're not supposed to be. If you stay on the designated roads and trails if you wander off the open area you'll be OK, but if a ranger sees you they'll send you back. There's some very enticing sand areas that are in the closed area, stay out of those and don't mess it up for the rest of us.

Rasor is a great place for landmark runs or picking an area to play around in, but not much more. It's still fun because of the variety of terrain though. You can easily get in a long ride by zig-zagging around the place, but hard to see something different on every ride. Some landmarks to explore include the worm trails by the trees, the grave site, the borax mine, the various cabins(be careful, some are private property), the sand bowl, the canyon, the Mojave Trail, if you stay on the road you can get to the megaphone and if you can find it, my sand sled is still floating around out there somewhere, but it wasn't looking too good the last time I found it. LOL

There are a lot of staging areas that are very easy to get to, but if you venture past the staging sites just off the road, be prepared to get stuck if you're hauling a trailer. One year there was a flash flood that washed out Rasor road and it was extremely difficult to get through, lots of trucks with trailers being towed in.

If you run into a ranger out there, they will check you for reg and S/A so make sure you're legal.

You know me. Im a D I C K !

I suck at sand riding too! Not gonna go around it though.

lol

598248103_Rjmem-L.jpg

Rasor is quad country!!!

The area between Rasor and Basin Roads pretty much defines the "open" area. East of Rasor Rd. is Mojave Park, and you will need to be plated there and stay on established roads. The area west of Basin Rd. and south of the tracks is mostly general BLM land, where you can ride whatever is already established.

Ride Afton while you still can! The area south of the river is an ACEC already (what they often do before calling it "wilderness"). I heard it is in that new desert bill, and I wouldn't doubt that somebody will want to call it a "wild and scenic river" and close it to OHV's!