Wood screws into Gas tank? 200 EXC

Well, I just picked up a 99 200 EXC and I am still working on the tear down but I have a question. The stock tank is still on there and the screws holding the radiator shrouds are wood/sheet metal screws. The type that are pointed at the end. I wanted to see if this is normal for this bike? On my Suzuki I put a clarke tank on it and the plastic tank had metal inserts to protect the tank. Are the screws safe to re-use? Should I get a new tank? Any tanks that fit the 99? Thanks!

I have an 05 and it has screws similar to wood screws with rounded off tips holding on the radiator shrouds in the tank. KTM doesnt use the metal inserts like others. It looks kinda crappy but thats they way the do it.

Yeah even the new ktm's have them. My 09 has them, it's a non-issue.

they are NOT pointed like a wood screw tho

True.

Fair enough guys, I think the PO may have replaced a few screws that are more pointy than others. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to replace the tank or worry about it. This bike is way different than the others I have owned so I am still trying to figure this thing out. I am already in love with it though! Thanks again.

Well, I just picked up a 99 200 EXC and I am still working on the tear down but I have a question. The stock tank is still on there and the screws holding the radiator shrouds are wood/sheet metal screws. The type that are pointed at the end. I wanted to see if this is normal for this bike? On my Suzuki I put a clarke tank on it and the plastic tank had metal inserts to protect the tank. Are the screws safe to re-use? Should I get a new tank? Any tanks that fit the 99? Thanks!

They shouldnt be pointed. But they are a fast pitch (not as in softball league) screw. I suspect the prior owner had substituted something. Maybe it was stripped out? You can get a hot glue gun and fill the stripped hole and start fresh with OE stock screws.