IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

How long do you have to run a motor without oil to completely damage it?

I have a crappy orion pitbike I got for $100. I drained the oil removed the electric start n other crap that would probably break off or not work being its chinese crap.

Anyhow I without thinking pushed down the kickstarter, and it started i went to hit the kill switch but i must has disconnected it when I removed some components.

Ok so I went to shift it up n stall it when I realized i took off the chain lol :ride:

Anyhow the gas was drained out of the carb almost and the bike eventually stalled out.

The total run time was about 1-2 min max. I filled it up with oil and it fired up. I dont think it was smoking being it was dark I really couldnt see but im sure id smell it.

Anyhow ya think it will be fine?

For a "crappy pitbike for $100 dollars",I would fill it up and run it.What is there to lose.

I was just curious, I think the bike is fine and am not really worried about it, because I plan on running it into the ground.

It's probably a rather low-compression engine with loose sloppy tolerances, and it was under no load. I doubt you did any significant harm. And if you did, you'll find out soon enough...

I wouldn't sweat it.You should be fine.Your motor had some residual oil on the internals so it wasn't totally dry.However I would never do that again.I know that goes without saying.As long as you didn't rev it up or ride it you ought to be fine.:ride:

Without oil the bearings don't get oil for the crank, piston pin and the rocker arms and valves are not lubricated.

If you ran the engine to operating temp, the bearings are probably slightly worn if not damaged.

It would be ok for maybe 20 seconds or so, but after that the bearings are then starved for oil and the rocker arms/valves are starved without oil pressure.

The Orion pit bikes are really solid rides, you can call it crap all you want to try and fit in with the cool crowd who thinks chinese are junk but that shit's getting old on this forum fast.

If there's any reason not to buy chinese, it's not because they're crap, it's because the chinese manufacturers do not preserve our riding areas with donations, and do not contribute to the sport. But they do make a good bike for the price.

Well the motor may not be crap but the parts sure are...

I went to clean the carb and twist off the top of it... The carb cracked and the top portion with the threads broke off with it.

I removed the case cover for the chain and when I was loosening the two bolts the case cracked into two pieces.

My experiences thus far is that the quality is far less than a brand name, but thats why I paid $100 for it and not $700 for a brand name one. I am happy with it as I will use it just to ride around at the races.

Without oil the bearings don't get oil for the crank, piston pin and the rocker arms and valves are not lubricated.

If you ran the engine to operating temp, the bearings are probably slightly worn if not damaged.

It would be ok for maybe 20 seconds or so, but after that the bearings are then starved for oil and the rocker arms/valves are starved without oil pressure.

The Orion pit bikes are really solid rides, you can call it crap all you want to try and fit in with the cool crowd who thinks chinese are junk but that shit's getting old on this forum fast.

If there's any reason not to buy chinese, it's not because they're crap, it's because the chinese manufacturers do not preserve our riding areas with donations, and do not contribute to the sport. But they do make a good bike for the price.

I never said the engine was crap. I just said it's not a highly stressed high-performance engine with lots of compression and very tight tolerances like any modern MX four-stroke.

And yes, some wear likely did occur, especially to the valve train, which almost always suffers first from oil starvation. But the engine was under no load, so if no obvious knocking or tapping is already occuring, it's likely there was no significant damage.

haha, I knew a kid in HS who changed the oil in his lebaron and didnt tighten the drain plug, made it about halfway to indy from ft wayne for a colts game, probably a solid 10 miles at least with 0 oil!!!!