Sign in to follow this  

2005 Honda/Husky woods bike build

I picked up 2005 Honda CR250R this winter because I was hankering for a 2-stroke trail bike and something for winter project. Thanks to this site for a lot of info for converting a mx bike into a trailbike.

So far I have gotten a Steahly offroad FFW and stator to add lights, PC type 296 spark arrestor silencer (it came with PC and stock pipes), devol radiator braces and frame guards, pro taper bars, magura hydraulic clutch (I had one lying around fora yamaha yz426 that I had picked up on ebay for cheap a couple of years ago and it went in with only a little modification) , moose hand guards, and steel clutch plates.

Still on the list are a submount for a scotts steering damper, eline carbon fiber skid plate, clarke tank, and boyesen clutch and ignition covers.

Now for the Husky part. I also ride a 2006 Husqvarna TE250 that is fully street legal. I ordered some blue and yellow plastic for the Honda with the idea of occasionally stealing the plate for connecting the trails once in a while riding in Arkansas. I had to order them directly from Cemoto in Italy. Seems in the US you can only get black, white, or red plastics for this bike.

I will be using the stock blue TE250 headlight and number plate (I have a trailtech on the husky) with an adapted yellow husky front fender and grey brace.

I will be ordering an Acerbis LED rear tailight plate holder and the switches for the brake lights.

The fork guards, rear fender, and radiator covers will be blue Cemoto parts.

The side covers will be new husqvarna yellow Cemoto parts.

Here is a stock image of a 2006 te250 like mine, nobody makes a yellow rear fender so I had to settle for blue. Graphics are still up in the air for once its all together. I may look for a blue seat cover also, the current one is all black.

22957_0_1_2_te250_Imagecredits-Husq.jpg

Husqvarna also makes a CR250 2 stroke, but there sure aren't as many used ones around as the honda CR's. Modifying something is half the fun of new bike.

22010_0_1_2_cr250_Imagecredits-Husq.jpg

Edited by Terryth

Well, that certainly sounds like and interesting and fun experiment you have in mind. Definitely keep us updated, because I am definitely curious to see how this works out for you!

As soon as the plastics arrive , it will start going together and I'll get some pics up.

Well, that certainly sounds like and interesting and fun experiment you have in mind. Definitely keep us updated, because I am definitely curious to see how this works out for you!

The blue and yellow plastics from arrived today, only took little over a week. They were ordered from www.cemoto.it directly. Only negative was 50 EURO shipping costs. Here's a quick photo after slapping them on quick to get an idea of what it would look like. Still waiting on the front fender brace.

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0408.jpg

I have been looking for the Husky CR250 bike and yea they are hard to come by. This looks like a sweet project. Have you done any measurements with the motor? Maybe you can get away with out chopping it. Remember too you can get amazing custom graphics from just about anyone.

I would love to toss the KTM300exc motor in one these bikes ahh. I seen someone I think on here that put a gasgas motor in for their trail bike.

KEEP US UPDATED...

Awesome project, funny how those colors look good on the Husky but not so much on the Honda :ride: You need a blue seat cover and it'll look better.

Really neat that you were able to find the yellow and blue plastics though!

Awesome project, funny how those colors look good on the Husky but not so much on the Honda :ride: You need a blue seat cover and it'll look better.

I agree that the plastics look a bit odd but with graphics and number backgrounds will bring it together nicely.

Lots of custom graphics available for the Honda's, but I never been much of a fan of the MX crowd graphics, too busy for me. I have been looking at the blue and yellow Husky graphics by cemoto and seeing if they can be adapted to the husky rad covers, the fender ones will go ok.

CemotoG3.jpg

The other idea I have been toying with is basically doing it like the stock TE250. I can get 12X18 inch sheets of blue and yellow graphics material and do the airbox sides in yellow instead of black then overlay blue to go from the tank onto the yellow along the sides like the stock TE250. The stock TE250 graphics with the" Husqvarna" on the shrouds will fit pretty well on the Honda plastic. That's the other decision to make, wether or not to have it actually say Husqvarna on it at all, or just to have various "H"'s on it. With the idea of stealing the plate from the husky once in a while, it can't obviously say Honda on it anywhere.

The front fender is one given to my a friend and I think its a supemoto fender and it looks really odd to me, its about 6 inched shorter than the Honda and TE fenders and doesn't curve over the front wheel like them, so i am probably going to replace it with a proper one.

I agree that the plastics look a bit odd but with graphics and number backgrounds will bring it together nicely.

You could always get custom graphics made for the Honda, but with Husky colors and designs. A lot of graphics companies allow you up upload logos for your custom graphics, and some have a database of logos for you to strategically place. Plus then you could have it done in the states and not have to pay the over seas shipping costs.

Unlike the Cemoto Honda blue and yellow plastics, all the Cemoto Husqvarna plastic and graphics are available from US distributors. The Cemoto husky graphics set shown in the picture is 69$

You could always get custom graphics made for the Honda, but with Husky colors and designs. A lot of graphics companies allow you up upload logos for your custom graphics, and some have a database of logos for you to strategically place. Plus then you could have it done in the states and not have to pay the over seas shipping costs.

Work continues, got the steel clutch plates installed, got a proper front fender and have cemoto husky graphics applied to the fenders and radiator covers. I have a keihin pwk from a yz250 to put on. Its all apart waiting on a straight subframe from Ebay that will arrive in the next day or two. I still need to install the lighting coil and fly wheel weight. I am going to order the skid plate, kick stand, and jets for the pwk this week. I am going to fabricate some engine side cover protectors like the ones sold for drz400's from sheet aluminum to hide the embossed honda on them, plus its a good idea to protect them in the rocks from getting a brake or shift lever shoved through them. I am heading to Arkansas to ride for a few days March 25-28 so it will be together by then and I'll be able to get some good daylight pictures of it, instead of the sickly indoor night time ones :thumbsup: Oh ya, I need to rejet the edelbrock carb in my van to improve the current 10 mpg before the 500 mile drive to where I am riding, it was another ebay item from a larger motor and was set up a little rich.

Nearly all done, just need to make a wiring harness to wire up the head and tail lights and bolt all the plastic on. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Work continues, got the steel clutch plates installed, got a proper front fender and have cemoto husky graphics applied to the fenders and radiator covers. I have a keihin pwk from a yz250 to put on. Its all apart waiting on a straight subframe from Ebay that will arrive in the next day or two. I still need to install the lighting coil and fly wheel weight. I am going to order the skid plate, kick stand, and jets for the pwk this week. I am going to fabricate some engine side cover protectors like the ones sold for drz400's from sheet aluminum to hide the embossed honda on them, plus its a good idea to protect them in the rocks from getting a brake or shift lever shoved through them. I am heading to Arkansas to ride for a few days March 25-28 so it will be together by then and I'll be able to get some good daylight pictures of it, instead of the sickly indoor night time ones :banana: Oh ya, I need to rejet the edelbrock carb in my van to improve the current 10 mpg before the 500 mile drive to where I am riding, it was another ebay item from a larger motor and was set up a little rich.
  • Like 1

It should be all done this Saturday !!!!

sick project.. cannot wait to see pictures!!!

Sort of reminds me of one of the Conan O'Brian "If they mated" bits.

The lights aren't sorted yet. I couldn't get it started with the steahly stator and wire harness but didn't have time to sort it out for my trip to AR this week to ride so it was back to the stock stuff. I had to relocate the ECU to the airbox to make room for the light assembly behind the number plate. I have the Clarke 3.2 tank on it. I went and filled the tank on both the TE250 and the CR250 and weighed them by putting the front and then the rear on a scale and adding them. 253.2 for the CR and 301.8 for the TE, a whopping 48.6 pounds difference. The TE holds about 2.4 gallons, but has a corbin seat, ultra heavy duty tubes with green snot in both of them, and probably a couple of pounds of mud still on it. And yes that is snow on the ground from Friday.

P3201003.jpg

P3201004.jpg

P3201005.jpg

P3201006.jpg

P3201010.jpg

P3201008.jpg

haha thats awesome. Not too bad of an idea for when you want to swap the plate around for quick rides :thumbsup: Love the stickers over the Honda emblem on the clutch cover :lol:

I have an e line carbon fiber /kevlar skid plate on my 06 yz450f and in 4 rides that eaquel about 275 miles of desert riding its destroyed. holes in it, cracked and missing half of the carbon fiber/ kevlar material on the bottom of the skid plate. these things are only good for track riding. stick with a good aluminum skidplate they might bend and dent but you can bend them back. Once the carbon fiber is scraped off there is no repairing it.