2010 CRF250 Forks Are Longer

Than a 09 CRF450 and I assume the 2010 450 as well.

Pete of HDR/MX-Tech and I did some measuring, my 2010 CRF 250 vs the 09 450 that he had in the shop and there was a difference.

With both outer tubes flush with the top triple clamps and measuring from the triple clamp top to axle center on the caliper side,bike on the stand. I got 938mm and Pete got 932mm.

Give or take 1mm, the forks on the new 250F are 6mm longer than the 450. So take that into consideration when using the chassis mods from the 450 on the new 250.

On another note its interesting that in round 1 Anaheim SX the Geico Honda team was running a stock silver link. Then for the next 2 rounds they had a red link but it sure looks like a stock one anodized red. Definitely not an off the shelf item like they have used before with their FC logo etched into the side of the link.

Hummm?:ride:

Edited by 455
Give or take 1mm, the forks on the new 250F are 6mm longer than the 450. So take that into consideration when using the chassis mods from the 450 on the new 250.

Question is, if the chassis are comparable? Is the Showa fork longer due to some technical reason, is it longer to compensate for a different height of steering head on the 250F chassis or is it really a measure to balance out the chassis? Are the triple clamps identical?

I guess it would be interesting to see if the 2010 450F forks are also longer. I'm running the fork legs 2mm lower on my 09 450F (aftermarket triple clamps) and that makes a noticeable difference already - 6mm is quite a lot, isn't it?

Michael

Yes the 250 forks are longer.:ride: We just got my brothers 2010 crf 450 in on Wednesday. I did a fast measurement and the 10 450 is approximately 4-6mm longer as well. I tore them down and resprung and made a few valving changes. He left for Texas to ride for a few days on Thursday afternoon. He will be at 3palms and a couple other tracks. I should have a ride report this afternoon. I will post up stock valving this weekend if you would like. The biggest difference is in the shock. It has larger comp ports in the piston, different reb needle set up, and a 6 click per turn reb adjuster. The reb has a fair amount more bleed. The shaft will actually extend at a more normal rate when on the bench. The piston has less stiction as well.

do the longer forks have more travel?

do the longer forks have more travel?

Thats a good question. I just measured overall length. I will take more accurate measurements when I get both bikes back in the garage.

Yes the 250 forks are longer.:ride: We just got my brothers 2010 crf 450 in on Wednesday. I did a fast measurement and the 10 450 is approximately 4-6mm longer as well. I tore them down and resprung and made a few valving changes. He left for Texas to ride for a few days on Thursday afternoon. He will be at 3palms and a couple other tracks. I should have a ride report this afternoon. I will post up stock valving this weekend if you would like. The biggest difference is in the shock. It has larger comp ports in the piston, different reb needle set up, and a 6 click per turn reb adjuster. The reb has a fair amount more bleed. The shaft will actually extend at a more normal rate when on the bench. The piston has less stiction as well.

Good info,

Seems Honda snuck this change in under the radar.

Question is, if the chassis are comparable? Is the Shows fork longer due to some technical reason, is it longer to compensate for a different height of steering head on the 250F chassis or is it really a measure to balance out the chassis? Are the triple clamps identical?

I guess it would be interesting to see if the 2010 450F forks are also longer. I'm running the fork legs 2mm lower on my 09 450F (aftermarket triple clamps) and that makes a noticeable difference already - 6mm is quite a lot, isn't it?

Michael

All good questions, the triple clamps are the same offset at 20mm. But It seems Honda made the same change for 2010 on the 450? so it would be applicable.

So Yam 259? Just to be clear both the 2010's your 250 and brothers 450, the forks are the same lengths to axle center?

Thats a good question. I just measured overall length. I will take more accurate measurements when I get both bikes back in the garage.

Make sure you measure to axle center, not to the bottom lugs or it wont be comparable.

All good questions, the triple clamps are the same offset at 20mm. But It seems Honda made the same change for 2010 on the 450? so it would be applicable.

So Yam 259? Just to be clear both the 2010's your 250 and brothers 450, the forks are the same lengths to axle center?

Yes, I have the 250 and my brother has a 09 and 10 450. I have a 09 450 as well but I haven't ridden it since I got my 250:busted:.

You mean I shouldn't be measuring with both bikes on the ground? LOL!!

Yes ,I am also measuring to axle center. I will measure when he gets home. It is a little hard to be exact when you are stretching a tape measure that long. I need a huge set of calipers! I hope he gets to ride today. They have been getting some storms down there.

When I got my 250 I figured out the 250 was longer and set his 450 up to as close as I could get. With the forks down as far as I felt comfortable with, I was still a hair short (the forks I mean. LOL).

A lot of questions will be able to be answered when I can get a hold of the 2010 450 part fiche(sp).

According to Factory Connection the 2010 450 forks are not longer than the 09.

Could be the same. Like I said I was in a hurry and i was doing in on the bike with a tape measure. I will be tearing the back down to tweak them and I will get a good measurement then. If FC says they are the same I am sure they are. We will find out shortly.

It would have been cool if they kept 1 or more significant changes hush hush!