Sign in to follow this  

keeping phone safe while riding?

how do you keep your cell phone safe and in one piece while you are riding?

i usually keep mine in my camelback but if i wreck it could very possibly get destroyed.. i asked my art teacher in school when we were talking about me riding and he suggested a "Pelican case" which are like waterproof hard plastic cases.. but also $35

Just get a cheap eyeglasses hard-case and put it in a ziplock bag. Maybe check out your local fishing shop for ideas.

leaving it would be great, but if somehow i am seriously injured and unable to move, id like to have medical attention at my finger tips, or be able to call someone to help. also if im lost, being able to contact someone would be nice. its a really good thing to have a phone while riding.

if your lost how are they gonna know where you are...or if you cant move.....but seriously havent found a way...chrushed a few in a fanny pack and at 50 buck insurance...i just leave it and ride safe

When I ride by myself I stuff my phone in a pair of socks (shock resistance), put it in a zip-lock bag (water resistant) and stick that in a fanny pack from the dollar store and strap it around my bar clamps facing the gas tank. Taken a couple spills with no damage to the phone. In a big wreck things might not hold up as well but the socks work really well for moderate bails.

I usually throw mine in my camelbak but most of the time I have absolutely no cell phone reception for miles. I do however carry a mini whistle in case I needed to call attention to myself or my buddy.

Generally, if you are somewhere people wouldn't come across you while you are out riding, there is a good chance you wouldn't have cell reception anyway. Maybe carry a two way radio on you...that way, someone within a couple of miles will here you. Better chance of reaching someone with a radio than hoping you are in a place with cell reception.

if your lost how are they gonna know where you are...or if you cant move.....but seriously havent found a way...chrushed a few in a fanny pack and at 50 buck insurance...i just leave it and ride safe

most phones know have a gps tracking thing so in an emergency they can find you:thumbsup:

most phones know have a gps tracking thing so in an emergency they can find you:thumbsup:

Or whenever they want. :ride:

Turn off phone, wrap in waterproof duct tape, follow with bubble wrap, then a layer of moto foam. Stuff the whole mess into a DOT approved helmet, place in cardboard box, surround with styrofoam peanuts, seal, then attach to your seat.

Or just keep it in your camelbak. It's a phone, not a champagne glass.

GPS on a cell phone is triangulated by cell phone towers, so if you have no reception you have no location, just a thought for people that don’t know that. :ride:

GPS on a cell phone is triangulated by cell phone towers, so if you have no reception you have no location, just a thought for people that don’t know that. :ride:

That's not entirely true. If your phone has GPS then it uses satellites. But E911 will use triangulation (Angle of arrival & Time difference of arrival) if GPS isn't available.

Turn off phone, wrap in waterproof duct tape, follow with bubble wrap, then a layer of moto foam. Stuff the whole mess into a DOT approved helmet, place in cardboard box, surround with styrofoam peanuts, seal, then attach to your seat.

Or just keep it in your camelbak. It's a phone, not a champagne glass.

so what you are saying is that if i were to say.. climb a near vert hill and fall down backwards 10 feet and land on my phone, it wont have any damage at all?

AND for those who say to leave it, i use my phone for videos while riding, and parents like to call from time to time to make sure im still alive. If i dont have it, i probably wouldnt be able to ride.

also, i could go out and ride safe (which is usually the main idea, im not racing, mostly just trail riding) but theres always some time where you come across something not so safe that you cant resist trying.

and last, if i get lost somehow, i would atleast know a relative area of where i am and ask a friend familiar with the area or something for help.

i took a look into the otter box, and it looks good. crush proof, floats, and waterproof up to 100 ft. only 11.49 plus shipping, not bad at all. better than having to replace a phone, thanks:thumbsup:

How about doing what I do....use phones that are shock proof, dust proof, water proof and easy to use. Much easier than stashing it away in a place that might be impossible to get it out from if hurt. The Samsung Solid phones are good for this.

so what you are saying is that if i were to say.. climb a near vert hill and fall down backwards 10 feet and land on my phone, it wont have any damage at all?

Perhaps. But how frequently does this _really_ happen? Don't forget you might take a meteorite strike at any time, need to be prepared for that too.

Just having some fun with you, do whatever you makes you feel comfortable. But I suspect the peace of mind you'll get from a 35 dollar pelican case to protect your couple hundred dollar phone while riding your thousands of dollars dirt bike might be worth it. :ride: