Sign in to follow this  

Old School vs Modern

My buddies bash me for not upgrading my old XR, and rub it in my face with this video. What I would like to point out is the fact that a 25yo stock XR can hang with a newer 450X. What do you think?

the most important thing is to ride as much as u can.. as long as it carries your butt up the hill whoo cares

2000 zook smoker here...

dont feel bad. as long as you get out there, and the bike brings you back who cares. your xr can hold its own, and as far as im concerned your xr is much nicer looking (i saw it in another thread, beautiful bike, wish i had one)

I have... soon to be had... an XR250R... i could keep up with brand new KTM's in the woods. However, that ment having that bike at close to 100% all the time.

Yep I just recently upgraded my xr250 to a crf450. I still have it and wont get rid of it, I had to keep it pinned sometimes but could still get through the tight trails just as fast as my freinds on newer bikes! Hill climbs were getting tougher and was at the limits of the suspension and frame lots on high speed trials etc. Great bikes but the new to me 450 is more fun and much lighter.

That's not an XR, it's a XRR. Big difference. Plus, it's designed for off road at speed. It's not 'old school' it's actually much better for some types of riding. I have owned both.

Oh, and by the way, you need a stiffer rear spring. You sit too low, and go though all your travel way too quickly.

Oh, and by the way, you need a stiffer rear spring. You sit too low, and go though all your travel way too quickly.

I'm working on that. I'm currently 6'3 and 240lbs. It's coming off, but not as fast as I'd like. I'm bigger than my riding partners, and their bikes are both lighter and more powerful!

90% rider 10% bike......roost your friends, then feel good about all that extra cash you have in the bank that would have went to a new bike. I wonder if any of these four strokes they make now will be around in 25 years.....

You could not have screwed that start up much worse. Your bike did very respectfully considering the bad drive you had.

Yes mostly rider. Bike looks fast. I have a 03 Crf450 and am now looking at a 1997 Xr250 for the fun factor. When I ride my 250f I smoke 450's all day long. And Im 220 with gear. Just have fun.

I've always kept a bike till the wheels fell off and it was just to worn out to fix anymore. Of course, it doesn't help with the sticker shock you get when you go years between bikes!

We were on that hill for over an hour, just racing each other. We would try different position (middle, left, right), starting off in 2nd gear, power-shifting, etc. He didn't bother to post the few vids of me actually beating him, but then, it was his camera! I admit that my start wasn't the greatest, and we are NOT racers! This was also the one trip out where my helmet cam video card was full. That won't happen again!

I was thinking of getting rid of the XR in favor of something newer and more responsive, so I'm borrowing a KX250 to try out. I'm not so sure I want the on/off power of the 2-smoke, especially since it looped out on me last Sunday.

I have a 99 XR 250R that I love but for the fast trails or trails with whoops, the XR can't hang with the newer technology of suspension and fuel injection.

My lovely wife bought me a Husky TE310 for Christmas. I was probably going to do it myself but it was a great present.

What a difference. The husky rips on the trail, eats corners, is way more responsive, performs MUCH better in the whoops and it has a license plate.

I'm keeping the XR for now as a spare for friends, my son or whatever. It will be hard to sell when/if that time ever comes.

I was thinking of getting rid of the XR in favor of something newer and more responsive, so I'm borrowing a KX250 to try out. I'm not so sure I want the on/off power of the 2-smoke, especially since it looped out on me last Sunday.

Wow, be careful! Going from a four stroke trail bike to a two stroke MX bike is quite a difference. Maybe a more trail oriented 2 stroke to try?

I'll be interested to see what you think of the KX though!

J.

I really liked how light the KX was, and the braking was much better, too. However, the peaky engine is just too much. With that bike, you're either on the gas, or park it. We went out all day on Sunday, and when I needed the power it was nice. Most of the time, I didn't. I think I'll hang on to the XR.

that video doesn't mean much.

if anything, it shows how much power the old school has.

the guy got off to a terrible start, and the gap didn't widen at all after that.

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

:ride: