Sign in to follow this  

"Floating" Off The Bike?

Sometimes when I hit a good sized jump (for me anyway, only 3 feet of air probably) I can feel myself "float" off the bike, sometimes my feet almost come off the pegs. I'm not sitting, don't worry. I hit everything standing up. Most jumps I hit are fairly steep, with the end takeoff going almost vertical, so they're not really "distance" jumps. I dunno, maybe theyre just shitty jumps, but is there anything I can do to eliminate the floating?

I have the same issue, I think it's due to not squeezing the bike with your legs. For me it seems like my brain just locks up in the air, so thinking about what I'm doing stays on the ground.

Definitely try grabbing the bike with your ankles. I know a lot of people say knees, but standing just seems so much easier to grab with my ankles.

If you're floating you are stiff. Let the bike come up underneath you, your joints close a little(ankle, knee, hip) and your arms will extend a little to reach more--watch the guys on supercross this weekend, when they whip stuff and feet come off the pegs on purpose you can see their bodies are stiffer, when they jump for real to be fast their angles close up then open up again as they go down on the arc. Letting your arms extend a little will ket the bike get a tad ahead more, that way when you land you have wiggle room to catch up with the bike(because your body will have some forward momentum of it's own and the force will go down thru your feet instead of trying to pinch your knees hard to keep you from going forward. You know how if you're too far forward when you land you can get a bad surprise with the gas cap etc :ride:

Yes, have your ankles up next to the bike, knees in(for me personally, I have toes turned in too just a bit so knees are driven into the bike on landing, I'm just doing baby jumpt tho too). HAVE YOUR WEIGHT ON THE PEGS. People that pinch the bike hard with their knees are keeping some of that weight "up" in that contact point with the bike.

Also think about the arc of the jump like you're still on the ground going over a hill--you won't feel so floaty/disconnected because you're thinking OMG I'm in the air. That helps you not be so heavy in the landing too and helps with keeping the throttle smoth through the whole thing because you are thinking FORWARD motion instead of UP and DOWN.

For sure you have to use your knees & ankles to hold on to the bike. Firm but not rigid , same for bars.

The jumps may have too much lip and your suspension might not be set up optimally for this style of jump... if you are kind of "setting" your knees on the take-off, it could pogo you a little bit off the pegs. and, if you are "preloading" your bike on the face of the jump, maybe you are launching yourself, as you unload your weight

and lastly... losing touch with the pegs is not a huge deal, if they are close by... when your feet start going over the seat, carnage may follow

The jumps may have too much lip and your suspension might not be set up optimally for this style of jump... if you are kind of "setting" your knees on the take-off, it could pogo you a little bit off the pegs. and, if you are "preloading" your bike on the face of the jump, maybe you are launching yourself, as you unload your weight

and lastly... losing touch with the pegs is not a huge deal, if they are close by... when your feet start going over the seat, carnage may follow

I'm a big snowboarder, and the idea is to preload for a jump, I think i may still be doing that on the bike. Also, it is a KDX, revalved and resprung, but still it will get pretty low in the stroke as you approach the jump.

I'm a big snowboarder, and the idea is to preload for a jump, I think i may still be doing that on the bike. Also, it is a KDX, revalved and resprung, but still it will get pretty low in the stroke as you approach the jump.

yeah- you still want to "pre-load", just maybe not push off so much with your legs off the top

I'm not much of a jumper, but enjoy what little air I do get

Maybe it's just me.. but I love that second of zero G feeling.

I grip with my ankles and just do small, trail jumps.

Love the feeling more on my mountain bike though, where I'm clipped into my pedals, and my bike automatically stays with me.