Female XR650 rider?

Basic question:

I just picked up a 1999 XR650 in a trade, I'm a chick, is this bike going to be too much for me?

More of the story:

The guy I traded my older, unused race car to was not a bike rider. He was given this bike by his cousin and had no idea what the heck it was. He told me it was a 450, or in his words "I think its a 450, that's the biggest they get right? Its a big one." And he also manage to strip out the spark plug threads in the head. So now I have a XR650 and am wondering what to do with it.

My main ride is a 2006 Yamaha YFZ450 sport quad with some internals done to it for mo powah. I weigh 150lbs, 5'8" tall, have all riding gear, etc. Mostly do trail riding, but like to jump around on a basic MX track every once in a while, nothing crazy or anything though. Just looking to have a good time, not jump over the moon. When I sit on the XR my feet touch the ground, but barely. I've never ridden a dirt bike.

What are your suggestions? Should I keep it, trade it/sell it for a smaller bike/quad, ride it and see, etc?

And can anyone identify the actual model of the bike (L, R, etc?) since I'm not familiar with them and the guy didn't know.

The bike:

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

Me:

IMG_3842.jpg

Hey there chixwithtrix, welcome aboard!

It looks like a 90s XR650L as it has no kick start and it's white colors, the first tell tale sign. It also looks like it has a stock instrument cluster and appears to have had turn signals at one time as the mounts appear to be there. But there is no rear light or plate so may have all been removed by a or the POs. If you can get over the height intimidation factor I think you'll really dig the pig. I'm 5'9" and I even bought an XRs Only lowering link before I had my piggie in hand but quickly got over the height and never installed it. To make things easy for me, LOL, I took it out in the dirt trails for our first ride and my first in about 26yrs. Great way to get my bike legs back eh. I've not done a bunch of street riding and still dig it more and more each day. W/the right mods, most can be done on the cheap, you'll have a boar w/some roar under your legs! Let us know what you decide to do and damn good to hear from a chick 'round these parts!

Good luck and ride safe :ride:

:thumbsup:Btw, you can also get new plastics kits and turn signals and other things from the TT store here or elsewhere or even used ones abound. Honda has not changed the bike, hardly at all, except cosmetically so you can turn it into a really nice looking and running piggie in no time. They are really easy to work on which is a damn plus. One thing I've learned is that there are alot of great peeps here on the TT forums, a great wealth of resources at your ready fo' damn sho'! Oh, another way of finding out for sure what she is is to check w/your DMV too. Also hopefully if it was ever plated there is not much due in getting it replated if you so desire or have to.

Good luck!

It's pretty tall. I would really consider a lowering like at your height. Those tires are for dirt roads and pavement. Get some real knobbies if you plan on more serious dirt. The XR650L came with a plate in all 50 states when it was new and you should be able to license it for the road even it it's off road only now. As far as dirt worthyness goes it is not like a modern MX bike. Modern MX bikes weigh a lot less and have more current suspension. The 650 can do one thing those can't and that is long life. It can go tens of thousands of miles. Try that on a 450 MX bike.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a bike.

what you guys are forgetting a proven fact, most woman's legs are longer then men.

I'm 5 11 195lb and my toes just reach the ground (for comparison).

If you can muscle a quad you can ride the XRL.

Clean it up, fix it and ride the hell out of it!

Nice trade Btw :ride:

what you guys are forgetting a proven fact, most woman's legs are longer then men.

I'm 5 11 195lb and my toes just reach the ground (for comparison).

If you can muscle a quad you can ride the XRL.

Clean it up, fix it and ride the hell out of it!

Nice trade Btw :ride:

You mean those long lean, sexy smooth legs? :lol:

I'm going to have to differ from my friends here. Even with a lowering link, it's going to be tall for you, and it's top-heavy, too.

You're obviously a strong woman, but on a bike that big, you're just not big enough to get the leverage needed to keep a bike that weighs 320-something pounds with an empty tank under control.

I suggest that you try it out on some easy trails, and see what you think. It's heavy. It's big.

If you like the power, I'd suggest a Suzuki DR 650 or 400 with the factory lowering kit. Still heavy, but much more manageable for anyone less than 6' tall. My short friend (shorter than you! lol!) wasn't comfortable on his 650 until he got his lowered and got a lower seat, and now he loves it. Weighs the same (a lot!), but much easier to handle, pick up, etc. You want to be able to put your feet down in the tight stuff.

The XRL is a great bike. It weighs twice what you do, though, probably more. I'd say if you're going to do mostly street, you're cool. Serious off-road would be no fun. The BRP (big red pig, though yours isn't red) is a handful.

I'm not doubting your skills or anything. It's just a physically big bike, so take your time with it. The good news is that you've got a nice bike to trade if you decide to. Get the minor stuff fixed, and get it running, and it'll be just what some other rider is looking for.

Although if you really do like Honda XR650L, even though it weighs a ton and can be a hand full you may be better off with its brother, the XR650R. Although it has more power it weights less and isnt as cluttered with crap all over it.

But i would say you would probably be best with a Honda XR400R or CRF450X depending on what sort of power you had in mind.

Yep...I'm gonna say that the 650L is not what you're gonna have a good time with...too heavy...too tall...too top heavy...equals no fun. Especially if you're a mudder. (I bet your mudder was a mudder!)

I'd suggest a crf230f which you can mod into a pretty fun bike for yourself and it's e-start so less hassle will equal more fun. If you're more advanced i'd say a crf250x...more power and suspension and the same e-start.

But I think you said you never had a dirt bike so I'd say the crf230f or a comparable other brand bike would be the ticket...this much is for sure, the 650L does not sound like the bike for you and the type riding it looks like you're into...

You go, girl!

if you think it may be too big for you.... try this. turn the gas off, have a spotter, lay the bike on its side, and if can't get it up, no go. the next step would be to put it in a crate and ship it to Iowa! haha no, i'm just kidding

It is an L and it looks like someone did a wheelie and went over backwards and bent the rear sub frame too!

Edited by scarty111

That bike is clapped out, part it out for what you can get.

I'm guessing it doesn't even have a title, it hasn't been registered in some time and/or the taxes aren't up to date on it either. Would turn into a headache to tag it if any of the previous are true.

The sub frame is bent real bad, and the whole bike looks as though is hasn't had good maintenance, if any.

It does have a aftermarket header, although it looks like stainless that someone used steel wool on to clean it. The aftermarket muffler is beat up bad. It does have some plastic frame protectors. Straight wheels sell good. A darn shame, all around.

The XR650Ls are plentiful and easy to find used with low millage. $2,000 or less, easy. If you really wanted one, go that route. No fun working on one more than riding it.

As far as gender having everything to do with riding ability, screw that. There are women who ride KLRs on some knarley stuff. Women on dirt bikes/dual sports is hot stuff, shows that they are in control and know how to handle their body.

anyone know where I can download a manual for it?

should be able to get a manual from the dealer as for the power and size dont worry about if you can handle your 450 quad the bike will be fine I am 5foot 5 and 200lbs and can mucle the bike around take it for a few rides and get the feel for it.

I have a 94 XR 650 L, I am 6'-2" tall and weigh 300#. I love the bike but it is a beast. Lots of fun and power but lots of bike to handle. Good luck and be safe!

That bike is decent for you if you want to ride pavement and fireroads.

If you have any other plans, I would sell it and buy something more suited for you and the type of riding that you are going to be doing.

My GF can ride my 650R, but hates doing it. She is much more comfortable on her 250X.

I took another look at it today and it needs some work, obviously.

I'll be taking the head off to fix the spark plug once I get back to my place (staying at relatives right now) so I'll need to get the manual soon. Is it possible to easily take the head off with the engine in the bike or should I remove the engine before doing it.

Once I took the seat of I saw the extent of the frame bend. The guy rode it with the frame bent, and the engine mounts, etc looks not to be tweaked. Is there a reason I shouldn't, or more accurately, my boyfriend shouldn't ride it? Its my bike and I'm planning on riding it some, but most of the riding will be done by my bf who is 6'2" and 170lbs. I also sat on it today for a while and found that I can flat foot solidly on one foot with the bike a tiny bit tilted and still have my other foot still touching the ground.

Its missing the airbox lid and the gas tank is rusted. Would it be more to buy another tank or just have it fixed? What year model tanks will go on the 1999 650l? Also are the numbers on the speedo above the 'trip' numbers the mileage?

Hi, you can DL the '93 Honda Factory Service manual from the following link located in the FAQ section of this particular forum:

http://www.ripperfox.com/manuals/xr650l%20manual.pdf

Even tho it's for a '93 your bike is pretty much the same as they haven't changed them much at all in 16+ yrs and are pretty easy to work on. Parts can be had on ebay as well as used parts dealers, here in the classifieds, on CL, just do your searches and you'll easily find them. Can also get new OEM stuff from TT store as well as other vendors. They have the microfiche that you can seach for Honda P/Ns and then take that info to a dealer if you wish.

You can motard or supermoto it or keep it strictly dirt or bring it back to it's orig condition but as onederer said if it's too much in the way of damage and what it may need then you may be better off finding a nice used XRL and parting that one out, the DMV stuff can get up in dollars too if it wasn't filed as non-op or something like that and you want to get it plated again but check it out as soon as you can so you know what you're into if you do decide to make her legal again. That way you don't spend a butt load of money and time on it then get surprised by your DMV. If you do part it out you can get some bucks for straight wheels and even the engine itself will get you something, not to mention small parts and such. You might get enough to get you a nice used XRL that needs very little if anything.

Best of luck w/whatever you decide to do w/it and remember that the TT community is here to help whenever you need it.

1.) Is it possible to easily take the head off with the engine in the bike

2.) Is there a reason I shouldn't, or more accurately, my boyfriend shouldn't ride it?

3.) Its missing the airbox lid and the gas tank is rusted. Would it be more to buy another tank or just have it fixed?

4.) What year model tanks will go on the 1999 650l?

5.) Also are the numbers on the speedo above the 'trip' numbers the mileage?

1.) Yes. The carb and boot have to come off so the head cover can be wiggled into that space and pulled out the side. TIP: Use an inch-pound torque wrench on the 6mm head cover bolts. The threads are easy to pull out with a big foot-pound wrench.

2.) If the frame/subframe isn't cracked and the brakes/tires/steering/etc are in good condition, then it's probably safe to ride it. Be sure the oil is full, too. Since it's a common trouble topic for the uninitiated, I'll explain: The engine must be run for at least several minutes and the oil checked immediately after shutoff in order to get the correct reading. also, just set the dipstick on the threads when checking, don't screw it into the frame.

3.) You could probably find a good stock steel tank for cheap from someone who installed an aftermarket one. Aftermarket plastic tanks run around $200.

4.) All 650L(1993-2009) tanks are interchangeable. I don't think any other other XR tanks are, though.

5.) Yes.

BTW, there should be a year/model sticker and VIN number on the frame behind the headlight.

6.) Welcome to Thumper Talk. :ride:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yit1ckmzmmm

:ride:

nice, thanks for the helpful and quick replies. I'll start looking over the manual to get more acquainted with 'er.

I looked on ebay for tank prices and they've ranged from $50 with some dents to around $200.

Not planning on putting it on the road. As much as I'd love to have a dual purpose bike, I live in Texas and don't feel like getting smooshed by a big F250 like I have or a soccer mom in her mini van talking on a cell phone. So the title and other stuff doesn't bother me. I wanted a bike for offroad for the most part so my BF could come and play along when I ride my quad on the trails. But since my quad is down for an engine teardown and some parts replacement I'd like to play around with the bike if I can get it running sometime soon.