Sign in to follow this  

Put down the wrench until you have a manual

Just venting a bit. Bought a 95 kx250 last year and figured its time for a rebuild. So I tore the whole bike down to the frame stripped and painted it, checked and replaced swingarm, wheel, headset, and linkage bearings. So now I'm on to the engine and as I take the top end off I noticed that the govenor linkage is misaligned. Figured that was a simple mistake then I realized the PO had completely botched the kips system. The sub valves were opening completely opposite of one another one was closed while the other was completely open. I have to wonder what effect this had on the performance of the motor? The good news is that while it could use a piston and rings the cylinder, head and the bottom end all look pretty good.

I guess my point is why would anyone start taking apart a kips valve with no idea of how it goes back together. A clymer manual is $29.00 and is the first mod I buy for any bike or quad!!!! The kips system is a piece of cake with the manual but I can't imagine trying to time it blind.

I guess I can look forward to riding the bike after the rebuild, it has gnarly pipe on it yet it has always been flat on the bottom. Now I just wait for parts to arrive.

The sub valves were opening completely opposite of one another one was closed while the other was completely open.

I agree 100%, but the factory OEM manual for my KDX is incorrect. It says to put the right side subvalve on the left and the left subvalve on the right.

I have always found that 2/3 of restoring an older vehicle (car, truck, bike, whatever), is fixing what the PO has f***ed up.:ride:

My biggest pet peeve is when the PO used SAE (not metric) fasteners and just jammed them in to make them work. :D:lol: Is it that tough to keep some metric fasteners on hand or go to the hardware store to get the correct parts? :bonk:

I agree 100%, but the factory OEM manual for my KDX is incorrect. It says to put the right side subvalve on the left and the left subvalve on the right.

My biggest pet peeve is when the PO used SAE (not metric) fasteners and just jammed them in to make them work. :lol::ride: Is it that tough to keep some metric fasteners on hand or go to the hardware store to get the correct parts? :lol:

Working on KX250 right now...the guy GLUED an SAE bolt and cross threaded it into the subframe! :bonk::foul::D

At least since I've taken this bike down to frame I can say that I've chased out most of gremlins. I love the use of flat head screws throughout(henry ford should have been beaten severly for the flat head fastener). Also found could weld on the bottom of the cases. Can't complain though as like wrenching almost as much as I like riding. A new bike just isn't that fun, I love having greasy fingernails and bloody knuckles.

The PO(s) for my bike kept it pretty clean. Other than the dreaded stripped out gas tank bolt (you know where the bolt AND the brass threads spin in the tank?!?!!) So after a solid hour removing that, I had to clean it up and epoxy it back in.

lol...I have hardware OCD. :ride:

For example: when I used to work on trucks, when I replaced a clutch I would replace all the bolts that fasten the pressure plate to the flywheel. Some trucks would have about 12-15 bolts. Anyway, I would pick through our nut/bolt collection for the same brand bolts, same grade, etc. lol This was a box with all new hardware but a mish mosh of stuff collected over the years.

The little flathead screws on all my electrical covers in my house are vertical.

lol...I have hardware OCD. :ride:

For example: when I used to work on trucks, when I replaced a clutch I would replace all the bolts that fasten the pressure plate to the flywheel. Some trucks would have about 12-15 bolts. Anyway, I would pick through our nut/bolt collection for the same brand bolts, same grade, etc. lol This was a box with all new hardware but a mish mosh of stuff collected over the years.

The little flathead screws on all my electrical covers in my house are vertical.

im the same way, i drive the guys at work nuts.

:ride: I thought I was the only one with that particular "mental disorder" as my oldest kid calls it! :lol:

We should start an OCD fan club....

or have an OCD anonymous session that meets every Tuesday nights...

"Hi I am Jason and I have OCD...."

We should start an OCD fan club....

or have an OCD anonymous session that meets every Tuesday nights...

"Hi I am Jason and I have OCD...."

Haha! People will be all strung out on methodone and we'll be bitching about SAE mixed with matric fasteners. :lol:

:bonk: I thought I was the only one with that particular "mental disorder" as my oldest kid calls it! :D

Non-perfectionists call it "Anal"....perfectionists call it "Attention to detail" :ride:

OCD. :ride:

Mine are all horizontal.:bonk:

One thing that really irritates me is different sized bolt heads. Two T handles to remove the seat. Or worse, 3 to remove the radiator shroud. Is it really that hard to go to the hardware store and buy 2 bolts with the same size head for the seat or 6 for both sides of rad. shrouds. Trail repair is one thing, but once home for maint....:D

I was considering buying a buddies Husky WR250 as a dual sport. He told me to take it for a while and see what I thought. I noticed the frt. wheel wobbly at his house, so I brought it home for some TLC before I took it out for a spin.

Bolts missing/different bolt heads...arg.:lol: I replaced the front wheel bearings and went to the Hardware store and got replacements for all the missing and miss matched bolts. I really liked the bike, but it would have been more of a replacement for the KX. It had similar short comings for DS as the KX except for the lighting. I gave it back a few days later all cleaned and serviced. He sold it shortly after. Now everyone wants me to "test ride" their bikes before they sell them.:lol:

Mine are all horizontal.:lol:

So are mine. :ride: There's something really wrong with people who keep their electrical cover screw slots vertical. :bonk::D

So are mine. :ride: There's something really wrong with people who keep their electrical cover screw slots vertical. :bonk::D

No way man.

When they're horizontal they collect dust. :lol:

My electrical screw covers are neither horizontal or vertical. They are torqued to the correct setting.

:ride::lol:

DUDES -- Get the heck outta the house and go ride in the snow...

I have seen all the problems you guys are mentioning. It is pretty frustrating at times!

To the original poster, stick around long enough and you will see people post on here who don't have a manual and are going to split the cases / rebuild the crankshaft / revalve the shock, etc.

I have seen all the problems you guys are mentioning. It is pretty frustrating at times!

To the original poster, stick around long enough and you will see people post on here who don't have a manual and are going to split the cases / rebuild the crankshaft / revalve the shock, etc.

:bonk: and then post questions on why things dont work ? thats after they put everything back together :lol: first purchase ...bike .... second purchase ....manual !!!!!!!! :ride: