Sign in to follow this  

Loctite 243 and not 242 .. due to OIL environment ??

I posted this as a question in another thread, but thought the topic warranted its own discussion...

I come from a MTB background ...this is an excellent article to read comparing 242 and 243 in oily environments .

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2007/08/loctite-blue.html

The Loctite fix recommends using BLUE Loctite which is generally 242 (the picture also shows 242). I would "think" that Loctite BLUE 243 (the same type Rekluse recommends for use in its clutch) would be the better option?? Loctite 243 is designed to set up in oil environments where 242 is not (hence why Rekluse recommends it)??

Thoughts?? Perhaps the FAQ section needs updating??:ride:

There are lots of choices when it comes to anaerobic thread lock compounds, different brands and different types.

The stator and starter clutch tech paper recommends two different types of thread locker, not one, and does not use colors to describe them. It uses the words medium Strength and High strength, no product colors are used because that can be confusing from type to type, brand to brand

Loctite brand, and specifically product 242 and 271 are recommended because they work..and is available in all kinds of stores across the US.

According to the folks that make it, motor oil does not effect the strength of 242

https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/4F5DE4CF912A71D7882571870000D60D/$File/242-EN.pdf

So we have a product commonly available and has been proven to work for the life of the assembly. Seems like the right recommendation at this point.

If the common product ever becomes unavailable, or a better product (like 243 as a repacment for 242 becomes common place in most auto parts, hardware and bike shops across the country ) then that would be a better recommendation for sure. 242 and 271 work..

supervokes thanks for the suggestion... and post :ride:

doesn't the oil tolerant bit refer to the assembly of the parts

ie it can be used on components that are oil contaminated

I remember when we had the loctite rep in at a company Iuse dto work at and we were looking for a retaining compound

We had to use 601 coz it was oil tolerant as the parts being assembled were still cover in machine oil from the machining process

Once cured, they are pretty impervious to most things including oil, petrol according to the data sheets