Sign in to follow this  

New 09 KX450F Monster Edition! Baseline help pls!

I just picked up a brand new 09 KX450 Monster edition and couldn't be more stoked to get out and ride it. Unfortunately, I'll probably only get one "break in" ride on it before I race it. I was hoping you guys could give me some baseline suspension settings and things to look out for. I've read here that 100-105mm of sag seems to be the best range, but I was hoping to get some clicker advice just to start with. The suspension seems pretty stiff out of the box, but it isn't broken in at all. I've already ordered a TM Designs guide kit as well as some Works Connection rad braces. I'm coming off an 07 KX 250F so I'm hoping it's not too big of a hit powerwise. I basically just want to get the suspension sorted and as my buddies at work say . . hang on!!:ride:

I'm pretty happy with mine. I know some guys really dig the PC rear linkage and offset triple clamps(PC, RG3, RIDE, APPLIED, Pro Taper, etc. all offer quality product), for suspension FACTORY CONNECTIONS!!!

have fun

On mine so far, I put a 52 sprocket in the back and it made a huge difference I love the bike now, Also Im running 102 sag and i dropped the forks in the clamps 5mm helped alot with turning. Also get a exhaust the stock one is way too loud and junk. One more thing if you gonna race trash the front tire is junk. One last thing mine bike was overheating so I got a 1.8 rad cap and running engine ice no more probs since then.

Why the 52t sprocket? I've read a lot of the mags saying that a 51 is the hot ticket. Rode the bike today for the first time, and I definitely think the gearing is a bit off. Loved the bike though. My goodness what a motor!! So electric feeling. Lug it or spin it, it just goes fast as stink. Set the sag at 105, but I can see how running the forks lower in the clamps would help. It seems to have a tendency to want to push the front mid corner. I did change the tires too to bridgestone 403/404 combo 80 series front and 110 rear. Also very curious about the Pro CIrcuit link or the 2010 link because the bike is REALLY stinking tall. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam and it's tough to get over!! Thanks again for the help

The setup that worked for me is; 100mm of sag, Pro Circuit link, tires smaller size 90 front and 110 rear, 1 size up tooth rear sprocket 51, TM chain sliders (still cuts into it be last longer), 22mm Ride Eng clamps, Forks raised to second line on tube (lowered front end), EBC 280mm front brake rotors.

Edited by MUSTANGCOBRA1353

Why the 52t sprocket? I've read a lot of the mags saying that a 51 is the hot ticket. Rode the bike today for the first time, and I definitely think the gearing is a bit off. Loved the bike though. My goodness what a motor!! So electric feeling. Lug it or spin it, it just goes fast as stink. Set the sag at 105, but I can see how running the forks lower in the clamps would help. It seems to have a tendency to want to push the front mid corner. I did change the tires too to bridgestone 403/404 combo 80 series front and 110 rear. Also very curious about the Pro CIrcuit link or the 2010 link because the bike is REALLY stinking tall. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam and it's tough to get over!! Thanks again for the help

I went with the 52, bc i do alot of trails and I wanted 3rd gear to come in play earlier, the stock 13/50 was horrible on trails , 13/51 will be great for motocross

I dont mean to hijack but is there an easy way to set the sag on the 09s? Its really hard to get to, unless I'm missin somethin.

You just have to get yourself a long screw driver and start from the right hand side of the bike in front of the air boot. It's kind of a pain, but not rocket science.