Sign in to follow this  

Power valve spring tool a necessity?

I took an allen wrench of similar size and ground it square to fit. worked well.

Someone suggested using a tap backwards in a tap holder. You'd have to try a couple to find one that fits.

I tried a flat screwdriver blade but it looked like I could booger the recess. I bit the bullet and bought the $10 tool. Convenient size item.

Should i buy one? or can i get by without one?

Thanks

I have it, its small in size, very compact, fits in your hydration pack pouches. You can adjust it trailside to match riding conditions. But you can substitute anything. Its just a square.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

I dont get it, is the adjuster different on the newer scooters. Mine uses a socket.

I dont get it, is the adjuster different on the newer scooters. Mine uses a socket.

I wonder if a 1/4" drive will fit the hole? Yours should be the same as the newer ones.

I just use a flat bladed screwdriver, it fits perfectly.

It is the one I wrap my duct tape around, kept in a rear fender tool bag.

08 250/300xcw

Maybe I do use a screwdriver, I thought I was using a thin wall 6mm or something. It has been awhile.

what exactly are we talking about? Is this the yellow/red springs that came with the bike? Other than changing them out I didn't know they adjusted. I think mine came with yellow and I put in red. I am still learning about my new ride so bear with me.

what exactly are we talking about? Is this the yellow/red springs that came with the bike? Other than changing them out I didn't know they adjusted. I think mine came with yellow and I put in red. I am still learning about my new ride so bear with me.

yes, there is a square brass adjuster on the piece you take off to replace the spring.

so what would one be adjusting trail side to match conditions? Soften it up a bit if it's loos etraction perhaps, kind of similar to the dual map switch

so what would one be adjusting trail side to match conditions? Soften it up a bit if it's loos etraction perhaps, kind of similar to the dual map switch

Basically. the springs have more of an impact than the preload adjuster. it's more of a fine tune adjustment.

It's a 5mm square hole. You can make one, 3/16 square stock is easily available at most hardware stores and is a perfect fit. $1.50 for a 12" length. Just need to cut and weld into a small T. Or someone sells basically this for $13 shipped in the KTMTalk classifieds.

Questions:

Is there a positive stop at both ends of the adjustment range?

As far as I understand you are just preloading the inner spring with this adjuster and the further in you go (clockwise), the later (higher rpms) the power valve will actuate.

But I could easily be wrong and wouldn't mind a pointer to a good tuning thread (for the 250/300 -- 200 is totally different and already documented here in the sticky). Is there one?

I'm trying to tune the hit out of mine but I've read some comment that some people use the red spring and the adjuster backed all the way out versus the stiffer green spring (softer). So it seems there is a lot of overlap and also people have different ideas of what constitutes hit and tuning it .... hence my question on whether there exists a decent tuning thread for springs and adjuster. I waded through a lot of threads searching at KTMTalk but didn't find anything.

thanks!

my skid plate doesn't allow me to use the tool as it is too short. I use a screw driver

For 11 bucks buy the thing.

no Sh**, it's cheap, it's small, it fits into a pants pocket and it's a perfect fit.

Geez, by the time people go out and buy something that isn't made for it, put all the time into making it something that will work, do you really think you saved any money after the gas and time spent? Besides I'd much rather carry soemthing that is about 2.5" wide and 1" long with dull edges than carry around a make shit screwdriver on my bike.