Studding tires ... MORE or LESS studs??

Wondering what people's thoughts (from experience I hope) on the number of screws used when studding tires??

Now I know there are different "patterns" used, but my question is not really in regards to patterns.

I have an extra wheelset (with brand new tires) that I am not using. I was thinking of studding them up to use for "early season" riding.

Now, I live in Canada, but will NOT be riding in Snow. Basically the area I'll be riding ride starts out at relatively lower elevations and continously climbs (like most mountains do) upwards.

While "most" of the trail will be dirt and thawed I am sure (95% +), there are often sections that are icy as you get higher up. Even more dangerous is the ice hidden under the surface.

ANYWAY .. now to my question. I was thinking about ONLY studding up every 2nd set of knobs. That way ... in THEORY ... some treads would still benefit by being able to get more rubber to the ground, rather than metal screws (better on rocks). So kind of a compromise, or the benefits of both rubber and screws (but not more of one over the other).

So is studding a set of tires generally "ALL OR NOTHING" in terms or doing every knobbie ... or do some people only do half the knobs, etc.

Appreciate any input people can offer from experience.:ride:

I do half on my dual-sport for winter riding

hmmm,just put in 744 screws. just saw a guy put one deck screw in each knob. he luved it.

I do half on my dual-sport for winter riding

Kind of what I am thinking as well ... anybody else just do half of the treads???

*** Remember to consider that its for 95% dirt and 5% ice and only for a few weeks of riding :ride:

The only thing I am worried about in doing every knob is that if you hit rocks, all you have in contact is screws (which might make for some interesting results).

your screws definitely will wear out fast in dirt and the back tire will trow them very easily