Sign in to follow this  

atf fluid in gearbox?

i had a look at a kx forum and alot of guys swear by using trans fluid in there gearboxes. many said it helped gearchanging. would you reccomend using it in a cr500 gearbox?

Honda dirt bikes don't really care what you put in the gear box. ATF, motor oil, MX trans specific oil, etc... It all works. You're going to get a hundred stories about what everybody swears is best becaue they've been doing it for years without a failure. Well it doesn't really matter what anybody does because no matter what you do, chances are you won't have a failure. Just run whatever you can afford to change regularly. I like to change my gearbox oil ever 2-3 rides. I've put a bit of everything in there. I typically run the Hondalube because I can get it for around $4-4.50 a quart.

i was told not to run todays motor oil,cause they contain antifriction additives,that will cause the clutch to start slipping.

ATF is fine in the gearbox (I prefer Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF if using ATF) and you can use any proper-weight motor oil that DOESN'T HAVE THE "Energy Conserving" statement on the bottle in the "specifications" callout... That "Energy Conserving" means that they have added friction modifiers which could harm the clutch operation...

I heard type F works well, the trans fluid from older fords. Which is good cause I have cases of the stuff for my big '77 Lincoln.

Type-F is good as it has MORE friction modifiers to help the clutch packs in the old(er) Ford automatic transmissions grab better. Band-aid for inferior design and materials. Dexron or F work fine in our bikes...

• Like 1

See what I mean? Everybody has an experience and they're all the same. Everything works. Heck, you could probably put 2-stroke oil in there but the viscosity is probably a little high.

I run Shell Rotella T in some of my bikes. It made the the aluminum clutch discs in my CR500 drag.

Swapping to ATF cured the issue.

That's not an oil issue, it's a viscosity issue. You went from a 15w40 to the equivalent of a 7w. The reduction in drag was attributed to the change in viscosity, not the change in oil.

i had a look at a kx forum and alot of guys swear by using trans fluid in there gearboxes. many said it helped gearchanging. would you reccomend using it in a cr500 gearbox?

That's what he was asking.

I run Shell Rotella T in some of my bikes. It made the the aluminum clutch discs in my CR500 drag.

Swapping to ATF cured the issue.

I was confirming his question w/my experience.

That's not an oil issue, it's a viscosity issue. You went from a 15w40 to the equivalent of a 7w. The reduction in drag was attributed to the change in viscosity, not the change in oil.

The exact point....

but I believe the aluminum plates exaggerate the issue and contaminate the oil/fluid quickly.

My steel plated CR250 was quite different....I used 20W-50 and the oil stayed clean.

I change mine every couple/few rides also (good advice on that one).

Edited by Old-Timer

Also in the discussion on the KX forum, a guy who was totally against ATF emailed an after market clutch company, figuring they would discourage it because it is "cheap" and not capable of working in a motorcycle trans, and they recommended using ATF with their clutch components. Needless to say, that guy is thinking of giving it a try to see if he can tell any differences. Even some European bike manufacturers recommend ATF in their manuals.

I mean really, why wouldn't you run transmission fluid in your transmission? Saving money is just an added bonus!