Sign in to follow this  

Premix ,I did a dumb thing to-day.

My freind loaned me his WR250 .Not being used to doing the premix thing ,I put a 100:1 mix in the tank using Silkolene 2T fully synthetic and premium fuel, and rode it till empty . Now, I did'nt really get on the gas much just really 1/4 to 1/2 throttle stuff . Will the engine be o.k. ,or will it be damaged.

Edited by graazzy

My freind loaned me his WR250 .Not being used to doing the premix thing ,I put a 100:1 mix in the tank using Silkolene 2T fully synthetic and premium fuel, and rode it till empty . Now, I did'nt really get on the gas much just really 1/4 to 1/2 throttle stuff . Will the engine be o.k. ,or will it be damaged.

did it seize? if not give it back to him and say nothing :ride:

seriously it may have caused some extra wear on the bearings, but if the bore hasn't stuck to the piston then you've done no damage to either of them, os just let ya mate know ya mgiht have stuffed up and see what he say's.

if it makes you feel any better, ben grabham once run 100:1 for an entire australia offroad series in a YZ 250 just to prove that you can do it with correct jetting and good oil.

Check my TT thread "213:1 mix on 2T" that I started last year. That bike will be fine. My buddy ran 213:1 for 20 miles and bike is still running. I'm sure it didn't do the bike any good but still is OK.

I have a friend who used to run 100:1 Amsoil and never seemed to have a problem, he did need to do pistons more often and sure the bearings weren't much better but that was riding all the time with that mix not just a day of riding

Thank's for the reply's . I feel a bit better now . The bike was still running fine .Now i'll put in the 50:1 mix and take it for a ride .

Thank's for the reply's . I feel a bit better now . The bike was still running fine .Now i'll put in the 50:1 mix and take it for a ride .

Did he tell you what he normally mixes it at? I would ask him what he mixed and go with that.

Did he tell you what he normally mixes it at? I would ask him what he mixed and go with that.

Yes 50:1 .

Trials bikes run 100:1 all the time....as long as you were not riding pinned all the time and it was not a brand new motor it will be fine.

Trials bikes run 100:1 all the time....as long as you were not riding pinned all the time and it was not a brand new motor it will be fine.

That's pretty much the key, if you aren't pinned all the time say using 70% 1/4 , 25% 1/2 and 5% 3/4 or full throttle then the bike will be OK but the longevity of the piston/rings and bearings would be severally reduced.

Like Ttoks mentioned, if you jet and set the mixtures for the premix ratio then the bike will last but if you do nothing and then find yourself on asphalt at full throttle for 800mts and then back off and hit it again...pop goes the weazle...hehe l seized a motor like that at 50:1 mix

this is a stupid question but here goes............

I run 25cc of oil to ever 1 litre of petrol? what ratio is that? and is it ok?

maybe i wrong, but isn't a wr250 a 4 stroke, if so a little premix should hurt a thing.

You are wrong. Didn't you notice you were in the Husky 2 stroke forum? You are thinking of the newer Yamaha off road bikes. Even the older Yamaha WR's used to be 2 strokes.

You are wrong. Didn't you notice you were in the Husky 2 stroke forum? You are thinking of the newer Yamaha off road bikes. Even the older Yamaha WR's used to be 2 strokes.
duuh, stupid me sorry.

this is a stupid question but here goes............

I run 25cc of oil to ever 1 litre of petrol? what ratio is that? and is it ok?

This was posted on another forum...very useful! Just make sure you use the correct table for your region.

Picture2-6.png

No worries, we are all guilty of something of the sort. :lol:
thanks. now i feel a little less stupid, :ride:

I've seen oils that recommend mixing ratio between 100:1 and 25:1, i.e. Putoline MX7 says mix ratio 1% to 4%.

My bro ran ummmm who knows what to one thanks to my help...

Duralube....400xc....he is always running late...got to the desert race and sign up was closing...ran back...put premix in one gas can...guess i forgot the other....needless to say....

first loop of 40+ miles filled up and another 40+ miles and then a third loop of 25+ miles...

we finished up and there is still a bottle of premix sitting on the tailgate...awww crappp...look in my can...good color...look in his...ooops...no telling what thats ratio was by the end....probably 700:1...

needless to say ran the rest of that year and another

itll be fine. i know a guy who insists on 100:1 in his kx, and hasnt had a problem, although im sure top ends wear faster, i run 32:1 regardless, its cheap insurance