Sign in to follow this  

New 280 BB Kit Review

I read all the reviews on the 280 BB kit and boy does it live up to its reputation. I can't begin to express what an improvement it offers. I feel like I have the perfect engine now - literally.

This kit is the best bang-for-the-buck that you can buy, IMHO. And the performance gains aren't limited to the type of riding that you do. It benefits virtually all types of riding.

In summary, this kit is the real deal and something that I wish everyone that rides a 250 can experience. It's truly an amazing thing. :lol:

If anyone has any questions, just ask, but please let me know your country of origin first. :bonk:

Good stuff!:ride::thumbsup:

Edited by rickk

does it have any more vibration??

just bigger bore? or need stroke too?

oh, i'm from Singapore. :ride:

what kit did you use. i have a 09 kx250f and i want to do a cylinder works 280 kit. i only do mx and i'm woried i might lose top end over rev. did you lose any over rev?

does it have any more vibration??

just bigger bore? or need stroke too?

oh, i'm from Singapore. :lol:

There may be slightly more vibration, but you really don't notice it when riding.

Just a bigger bore....Everything else is the same. It's the KTM 280 KIT and takes just a few hours to install.

Singapore is a long way from here.:ride:

what kit did you use. i have a 09 kx250f and i want to do a cylinder works 280 kit. i only do mx and i'm woried i might lose top end over rev. did you lose any over rev?

KTM 280 KIT.

I had the same concerns - loosing top end overrev, which this bike is known for. I remember reading where someone pointed out - what you loose on the top is made up in spades on the bottom. I would agree.

I can tell that I'm loosing just a bit of overrev, but the torque and low-mid power gains FAR exceeds any top end loss. You can still scream it, but you just have a tad less than before. For MX, this thing pulls out of corners authority and with the torque of a 450. It's a wonderful thing. And I would argue this is where it's needed most - MX.

I've also found it makes this engine work better since you don't have to wait to get to the upper RPM range for the usable power. It's now available with the twist of the wrist.

I have installed the 280 ktm kit in my xcfw 250. It is still all apart and I cant ride for a couple more months but I am happy to read another good review.

I went with the 280 kit for two reasons. One I dont have to destroy my 76mm bore cylinder. And two I can use this kit on any 250f from 2010 down maybe even newer bikes if the engine doesn;t change.

RickK...how much do you weigh and what do you ride mainly?

It sounds like I will be super happy with the 280 since I was looking for a little more torque for the tight twisty woods riding.

Good review!

I have installed the 280 ktm kit in my xcfw 250. It is still all apart and I cant ride for a couple more months but I am happy to read another good review.

I went with the 280 kit for two reasons. One I dont have to destroy my 76mm bore cylinder. And two I can use this kit on any 250f from 2010 down maybe even newer bikes if the engine doesn;t change.

It sounds like I will be super happy with the 280 since I was looking for a little more torque for the tight twisty woods riding.

Good review!

is this a stroker or a big bore?

Good review!

175lbs, MX only. For tight woods and if you are looking for more torque, you are gonna be REALLY happy. You will be blown away at how much improvement this provides, but in a neat and controlled way - nothing is gonna scare you, but you will have more power. Pretty much like most of the ride reports suggest. Too bad you need to wait, but it will be worth it I promise.

wath abouth the optical look of the cilinder , i know the earlyer cilinders had a little div shape and outside signs on it so you can see its not the stock cilinder , buth someone told me this is changed now with the newer kit . we like to try it buth its not permitted in the class we ride , the most take the stock cilinder and make it to 80 mm bore . outside 250 insite 280 :ride:

There may be slightly more vibration, but you really don't notice it when riding.

Just a bigger bore....Everything else is the same. It's the KTM 280 KIT and takes just a few hours to install.

Singapore is a long way from here.:ride:

thanks buddy!!

:lol:

Where's the best place to purchase,I'm in the UK? What was the price? Was wondering as I'm gonna have to get my cylinder replated, would I be better off just getting it bored/plated to the bb kit spec and buying a piston?

No. Buy either the KTM SXS kit or Thumper Racing kit. Why butcher the stock cylinder ?

The best place to buy ? Nearest KTM dealer or if you want the TR kit contact them at thumperstore.com. Travis is one nice and helpful guy.

nobody , :ride: who can tell how its looks at the outside , diverence with the stock cylinder

The KTM 280 SXS is about $800

The Thumper Racing kit 300cc is $475 plus $150 cyclinder install.

Seems like the Thumper kit might be better bang per $$.

ANyone compare the two kits?

nobody , who can tell how its looks at the outside , diverence with the stock cylinder

I think the clyinders look identical on the outside. Dont have mine in front of me but all the pins on the head and lower case have to match with the new head. How could they make it look different.

Glad to hear another positive on the BB. Next week I will be having an Athena 280 kit installed on my 07 crf 250. I am also doing the Hotcams stage 2 cam and Yoshimura Full ti/ carbon twin exhaust. Right now the motor is stock other than a full pro circuit ti exhaust and loud mouth air filter.

The KTM 280 SXS is about $800

The Thumper Racing kit 300cc is $475 plus $150 cyclinder install.

Seems like the Thumper kit might be better bang per $$.

ANyone compare the two kits?

I would like to know too. Been thinking about a big bore kit, just don't know how big I want to go.