Sign in to follow this  

Valves and timing issue kx450f

I am working on a friends 08 kx450f, Wont start, kicks hard. I expexted valves to be tight.

Took off valve cover, removed spark plug and side case plugs for timing marks. rotated to top dead center on compression stroke.

int timing mark ligned up with head, but exhaust mark was down a tooth forward. yes int valves are tight.

My question is how could it jump time, when cam chain appears to be fine and tight with the tensioner.

I know he was trying to pull start it.

Im sure this is why the compression release isnt working also.

is there anything else i should be looking for here.

thanks

How many pins are there between the sprocket marks? There should be 29.

I am working on a friends 08 kx450f, Wont start, kicks hard. I expexted valves to be tight.

Took off valve cover, removed spark plug and side case plugs for timing marks. rotated to top dead center on compression stroke.

int timing mark ligned up with head, but exhaust mark was down a tooth forward. yes int valves are tight.

My question is how could it jump time, when cam chain appears to be fine and tight with the tensioner.

I know he was trying to pull start it.

Im sure this is why the compression release isnt working also.

is there anything else i should be looking for here.

thanks

The auto tensioner can back out with vibration. It happened twice on my 06, which I have had for a year. I made a manual tensioner and it hasn't happened since.

Does he have aftermarket cams/valvetrain, or stock?

Check the Chain slide on the tensioner side. Ive heard of the tensioner pushing against that (tighting the chain) and mushrooming the plastic slide causing the chain to loosen up!