The YZ/Two Stroke FAQ thread

Here's what I am thinking for a sticky.

Have more you think should be included? Post it up!

Think there's too much and some should be removed? Voice your opinion!

I will edit / update this post with info / suggestions from below as we go.

Engine

Suspension

• How your suspension works : Short explanation of the basics of different suspension parts and their functions
  • Updated KYB shock rebuild procedure : Step by step instructions for rebuilding / bleeding KYB shocks
  • KYB Free Piston mod procedure : Instructions for drilling KYB free piston for longevity and performance (05+). Includes assembly bleeding instructions for all twin chamber KYB’s which should be used when changing fluids
  • Post your suspension setup : Clicker settings, spring weights, etc, used by members here on their YZ’s

Miscellaneous

OEM Yamaha Footpeg Options: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911077

Edited by adam728

Adam, thank you! Nice work. I can now clean this place up a little!

RC thank you for stickying this, VERY VERY Good info here.

I was waiting for this for a while, was going to start one a couple nights ago when I came across the database thread, but someone beat me to the punch.

Adam awesome work!!!!!!!

:ride::lol:

I know were all stoked about our bikes but shouldn't we call it the 2stroke FAQ.:ride:

Don't forget to add the pipe shootout. Nice to have a FAQ now. Very nice. :ride:

I'm thinking a whole FWW explanation thread would also be useful as it most certainly is a FAQ. Maybe one thread that ties all of the better FWW threads together. :lol:

Also, :bonk: add a thread on gas tank comparisons.

And, add the 05 06 YZ125 Shift Stopper mod too.

Edited by shrubitup

Thanks guys, and keep em coming.

I'll look for some good FWW discussions and add them in, and I also intend to throw some of mxjosh's posts on swaping from a steel to aluminum frame. Probably get around to it tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Should we consider the head/squish mod?

Should we consider the head/squish mod?

Definitely, it's questioned or mentioned a lot. I'm having trouble finding one good thread that covers it. I thought there was a great one in the Honda 2 stroke forum.

I added some more links and did some editing. It's freaking cold out, so I'll be riding this afternoon instead of this morning like I planned. The sun is a shining, so hopefully it'll get above freezing soon.

How do de-tune a 250 :ride:

That just sounds silly!!! :lol:

How do de-tune a 250 :ride:

That just sounds silly!!! :bonk:

Here you go again bikedudy :D

....rather ask, why would you wanna de-tune it, in the first place :lol:

Jet it supa-rich.... Nah, it has something to do with timing (brain-retard it) haha! :lol:

cant we just put all those stickys on the top of the list like they were..just add the ones that werent there

cant we just put all those stickys on the top of the list like they were..just add the ones that werent there

Litterally the entire first page of the Yamaha 2 stroke forum would be only stickied threads then. RC won't go for it, and it will make a big cluster F of a mess. What's wrong with having one stickied thread that contains them all?

I know I've got more updating to do, just not feeling it today. :ride:

Litterally the entire first page of the Yamaha 2 stroke forum would be only stickied threads then. RC won't go for it, and it will make a big cluster F of a mess. What's wrong with having one stickied thread that contains them all?

I know I've got more updating to do, just not feeling it today. :ride:

TT wants a maximum of 5 stickies per forum. I love this idea because its impossible to pick just 5 stickies to cover everything. This will let us keep hundreds up there, if we want to.

Another frequent topic under suspension is swapping 06+ forks. Also, the Honda front brake mod.

Although I think at some point we should be judicious and only link the most important threads - the search function here is remarkably easy to use!

For WR gear swap I asked Adam some questions.

I cannot remember his user name ..

You'll have to search the exact years, but the gears being used are from the 4 stoke WR's. Any 400, 426, or 450 should work. I ordered my 5th from a WR426. Somewhere around 06-07 the 450 part numbers changed, but I believe they are just updated parts that still retrofit the other applications.

You can change just 5th gear, 3rd through 5th, or 1st thru 5th.

Gears 1 and 2 are on the two transmission shafts, so they have to be changed together.

Gears 3 and 4 have a different interlock shape between them, so they must be changed together as well. If I remember correctly the ears on 4th are rounded on the YZ, and square cut on the WR.

Just for anyone wanting to do this, now you know what you can get

For WR gear swap I asked Adam some questions.

I cannot remember his user name ..

You'll have to search the exact years, but the gears being used are from the 4 stoke WR's. Any 400, 426, or 450 should work. I ordered my 5th from a WR426. Somewhere around 06-07 the 450 part numbers changed, but I believe they are just updated parts that still retrofit the other applications.

You can change just 5th gear, 3rd through 5th, or 1st thru 5th.

Gears 1 and 2 are on the two transmission shafts, so they have to be changed together.

Gears 3 and 4 have a different interlock shape between them, so they must be changed together as well. If I remember correctly the ears on 4th are rounded on the YZ, and square cut on the WR.

Just for anyone wanting to do this, now you know what you can get

The link in the first post here to the WR mod gives the actual part numbers that you need and is very complete. Like I said, I can't remember the year range off the top of my head.