What size do oversize tanks for XR400 come in.

I found a 4.1 gal on craigslist, but that seems big. Something around 3.4 would be better. Is there such a thing, or is 4.1 the only game in town? The price is right on this one.

Thanks,

Toby

Yes you can get a 14l tank here's my xr with one on. This one is a clarke tank

IMG_2978.jpg

Edited by sir fallsalot

Seems big, how? Looks? Amount of fuel capacity?

I like my 4 gal. IMS tank very much. I like not having to worry about fuel when I want to get WAYYYYYYY.......... out there.

Acerbis makes a 5.8 gal.. Clarke makes a 3.8.

IMG_0015a-2.jpg

I found a 4.1 gal on craigslist, but that seems big. Something around 3.4 would be better.

The 5.8 seems a little too much, i think it would offset the balance of the bike, especially when the tank is full.

I found a 4.1 gal on craigslist, but that seems big. Something around 3.4 would be better. Is there such a thing, or is 4.1 the only game in town? The price is right on this one.

Thanks,

Toby

I'm guessing you do some desert or street riding. Here in th emidwest, the stock tank size has never been an issue for me, except for street riding. I can trail ride with my friends for the better part of a day and have plenty left in the tank at the end. My buds will need fuel, but my XR does not drink as much as the CRFs and KTm I dpend time with.

This is for my brother-in-law's dual sport bike. Sometimes (rarely) we have to go 100 miles of dirt/street between stops. It seems like 80 miles is pushing the capacity of the stock tank. Plus there's always the chance that you'll drop the bike and lose some fuel. It's nice not to have to worry, and not to have to carry gas or siphon. I already got the tank. I figure he can ride with about 3 - 3.5 gallons and always be covered.

By the way, can anyone hook me up with a petcock. Honda wants an arm and a leg for those, and he'd like to be able to switch tanks.

-Toby

The 5.8 seems a little too much, i think it would offset the balance of the bike, especially when the tank is full.

got the 5.8 on my bike, i actually enjoy the bike even more than before, lowers the center of gravity and improved handling in the sand and even on the road. really helped the bike stick

I've got mine duel sported, seems to go about 80 to 90 miles in the dirt only mode and about 125 miles on the street when 80% of the riding is 45 mph plus and in top gear. Going to check into the petcock from JustTanksOnly for I'd like a larger tank with it's own petcock, may have to file the holes abit wider as the stock seems to be closer to 1-1/2" then the 1-3/8"as listed.

Now if I could only find a mode switch I could wire to do the street/dirt change for me.

Yes you can get a 14l tank here's my xr with one on. This one is a clarke tank

IMG_2978.jpg

Sir , he said a 4 gallon or so tank not a 14 liter like on your bike:lol:

And you included another beautiful picture of where you ride,nice.

Sir , he said a 4 gallon or so tank not a 14 liter like on your bike:lol:

And you included another beautiful picture of where you ride,nice.

Thats a thought what measure do you Americans use for your tank. 14 litre in the UK is about 3 gallon and the US is about 3.6 Gallon so the tank i got is a 3 gallon here in the uk i looked at a 22 litre one (4.8 gallon uk 5.8 gallon US) before getting this one and was far to big for my type of riding i usually get 140 to 150 miles before going to reserve.

Maybe another tank question all together but I just noticed on a ride yesterday that my tank is cracked. (01 XR 400) Will the xr 400 and xr 250 tanks interchange? Trying to save a few bucks and have seen quite a few 250 tanks on ebay!

I think they will for certain years but don't know for sure.

Thank for the help... you guys are awesome!

Chris

Edited by daysoff