Smart Performance WR450 Suspension review

So after finally getting to ride my bike after revalving my stuff, here is my opinion on davej and his company. this was my first time ever into any suspension whatsoever. former auto mechanic, now do air compressors. contacted davej, ordered the wr phase 4 kit and a setup for my rear shock along with dave's fluid spi-3 weight, stock springs. didn't revalve it right away as i was waiting on tools. called dave several times to ask him the stupid questions(imo not his)before starting. during one of the calls, i asked if i should build the agressive woods or mx setup for what i would be doing because of a review i had read on this same setup for same bike/rider weight. this he explained was the million $ question. i would have to try both to see which one i liked better. 2-3 days later, he calls me back and asks if had revalved yet. i hadn't. he had gone and done some testing and sent me a custom build sheet that was a mix of the 2 builds from what i could tell. to me that is customer service that is priceless as they say on tv. can't say enough good things about dave, his tech support, or his setups/product. love my suspension, can't wait to ride it more. he answered or returned every call and held my hand along the way. the price for the parts was super compared to other companies i looked into. i mostly ride agressive woods with lots of rocks and knarly roots. had bottoming problems off of hard hits and drop offs. now it soaks up everything and works like it should. i would reccommend dave and his sevices to anyone, wether your sending your stuff to him or doing it yourself. jlow :ride:

Please, please leave Dave alone.......he is working on my suspension as we speak (write) and I want to go riding real bad....lots of mud on the ground! I will let you know when he is available again (when mines done) and of course a complete report on how the "new" suspension feels. Cheers JP

So after finally getting to ride my bike after revalving my stuff, here is my opinion on davej and his company. this was my first time ever into any suspension whatsoever. former auto mechanic, now do air compressors. contacted davej, ordered the wr phase 4 kit and a setup for my rear shock along with dave's fluid spi-3 weight, stock springs. didn't revalve it right away as i was waiting on tools. called dave several times to ask him the stupid questions(imo not his)before starting. during one of the calls, i asked if i should build the agressive woods or mx setup for what i would be doing because of a review i had read on this same setup for same bike/rider weight. this he explained was the million $ question. i would have to try both to see which one i liked better. 2-3 days later, he calls me back and asks if had revalved yet. i hadn't. he had gone and done some testing and sent me a custom build sheet that was a mix of the 2 builds from what i could tell. to me that is customer service that is priceless as they say on tv. can't say enough good things about dave, his tech support, or his setups/product. love my suspension, can't wait to ride it more. he answered or returned every call and held my hand along the way. the price for the parts was super compared to other companies i looked into. i mostly ride agressive woods with lots of rocks and knarly roots. had bottoming problems off of hard hits and drop offs. now it soaks up everything and works like it should. i would reccommend dave and his sevices to anyone, wether your sending your stuff to him or doing it yourself. jlow :ride:

Your review of Dave and smart performance inc is the same as mine. He's a class act. What other tuner do you know of that actually gives you the build sheet? Many of those guys protect that stuff like their life depends on it.

Good luck with your forks.

btw... you decided to build your own. Was it difficult?

Sounds like there are quite a few of us with the SPI suspension upgrade. Unfortunately, I only got one ride in on the upgraded suspension - probably THE best ride in terms of suspension performance I've ever experienced on the 07 WR - before I wadded BIG time. No fault of the suspension - it can't compensate for stupidity. More testing and a full report in about six months time.

Maurice - I did my own work. Had to make a couple of calls to Dave for some guidance, but otherwise it was a breeze. I've been servicing my own (and friends) shocks for some time, so I have all the tools and Nitrogen charging apparatus for the job, so I did have a bit of a head start there.

maurice, it was not difficult, just interesting at times. i had a little trouble getting the midvalve out of the cartridge tube(think that is what it is called). dave sent me pics of how to get it apart. if you have the mechanical skill and the tools, be patient, you can do it to. you also need to know an HVAC tech as they will have all the free nitrogen you need. it costs me about 12$ to have a 12 cubic ft tank filled to 1200 psi. go to a HVAC supply house, you can get a .89$ 1/4" npt to 1/4" flare adapter that you screw onto a HVAC hose. with that you charge your rear shock with the regulator on the N2 tank and a regular tire fill chuck. not quite as accurate as the no loss chuck, but it is a hell of alot cheaper. money was the biggest reason. i am a cheap SOB with alot of tools. as i said before, i have never done any suspension work in my life and did not have any headaches. i plan on doing my friends showa twin chambers in the coming weeks and will post how that goes. jlow

+1 for the experience with Dave. i did the phase 4 kit and re-valve on F&R, and while mine is still a work in progress, Dave is really cool.

the springs he put in my front forks were still too soft (bottomed out even after changing front 2-3 clicks), so i had to take them back and have them replaced.

my only complaint is that my brand new bike has spent more time torn apart in my garage than it has assembled or ridden. hoping that this will be the last time though.

Same experience with Dave. I only had minor suspension experience as well and he helped walk me through it. Amazing deal IMO for a DIY'er with all the tech support for such reasonably priced products. And it works :lol:

The suspension is completely transformed. The shock is what really blows me away because I didn't really think it was that much of a problem, what a difference for next to nothing in parts and Daves oil.

For those doing it themselves here's a tip to get the midvalve apart. I used an appropiate sized hole saw in a piece of 2"x4" then ran a skill saw through the middle to hold the cartridge in the vise. I then drilled a hole in my bench at the appropiate spot to put a hex key through to keep the cartridge from turning.

It then takes some torch heat to break free the red loctite thats in there. With the cartridge in the vise like this the o-ring from the mid valve will be low in the cartridge and away from the heat. Just make sure to allow time for cooling before removing. I then used channel lock pliers to turn the cartridge free.

robbiesnowskate039.jpg

What's the cost of this service? I've looked through his website, but can't find any $ info. I've got a WR450 and a YZ250 2 stroke that I'd love to look into suspension work.

butta, either send an email or call dave, he will let you know parts prices and labor costs if required. the fluid is a bit more expensive than others but well worth it. search for some reviews on it. haven't read a bad one yet. jlow

butta, either send an email or call dave, he will let you know parts prices and labor costs if required. the fluid is a bit more expensive than others but well worth it. search for some reviews on it. haven't read a bad one yet. jlow

agreed, his pricing is inline with the other local shops here in NorCal