Tires explained

Hoping that someone here can point me to an article or explain the deal on tires.

What tire is best for what type of terrain?

What's the difference between running a larger or smaller tire?

My brother had a tire that was brand new, and after two months of riding last summer all the knobs had torn off on the rear, obviously the tire was made for something else.

Is there a superior type of tire to all the others?

thanks

This prolly won't be much help...but IMHO, the BEST tire is the one that works best for you, where you are riding that day. Has more to do with what you expect of it. The best racer is most often the racer setup best for the day, track, race.

Sorry, but after 35+yrs, that's the best I can do.

:ride:

MXA had a nice article on tires a while back. If you can find it, it's a good read. There are a lot of variables when it comes to tires. About half of a tires traction comes from the construction of the casing and how it flexes. The other half is made up of rubber compound, knob height, and knob spacing. Tires for soft terrain typically have a hard rubber compound and tall knobs to penetrate the ground. If used on hard terrain these will typically tear the knobs off. Hard terrain tires are generally made with a soft rubber compound and often have shorter, wider knobs to maximize surface area in contact with the ground and minimize knob rolling.

Air pressure is also a critical part of tire operation. Every tire will require a slightly different air pressure to work best. You can set the pressure by watching the tire swipe on the rim. As the tire flexes it rubs on the side of the rim, you will see a clean spot (or a silver stripe on colored rims where the color is worn off from the tire rubbing) around the outside edge of the rim. This is the tire swipe, and it should be around 4-6mm wide. If it is smaller then you are running too much air, if it is too wide then you are running too little air pressure. Another sign of too much air pressure can be ripping knobs off right at the casing. This is because the pressure does not allow the casing to flex properly, and all of the flex is transmitted into the knob, tearing it off after a little while. Of course knobs can rip off for other reasons as well.

• Like 1

awesome, thank you for the info.

When they are identified for hardness is it just a one letter code, or does it actually say "soft" or "hard" on the tire itself?

I had no idea about tire swipe.

A lot of them will say right on the tire "hard terrain" or "soft terrain" or something similar. If not, look the tire up, it will always say in the description of that tire what terrain it is designed for.

The hardest part I think is trying to identify what soft-intermediate-hard conditions are. I've seen come videos of CA tracks that are definitely hard. Corners will blue-groove before they develop ruts. I've definitely never seen anything like that in the northeast. I think the dirt I ride is mainly "intermediate", although it does become "soft" when wet or been disc'd, etc. I stick with intermediate tires, although I just got a set of mud/sand tires that I hope come in handy this season when needed.

If your riding conditions are mixed and by that I mean hard pack, rock, sand and mud then you are in an area that will probably require an intermediate tyre such as a Dunlop geomax 51 or Motoz terrapactor. If it is slightly more rocky and hard there are in between tyres calles intermediate/hard. This scale goes up to hard and the other way to soft.

In all cases I use extra heavy duty tubes so I have the ability to run at lower pressure-I typically run an inter or inter/hard tyre for Australian east coast conditions. This enables me to really drop the pressure to say 10 psi if I get gaught in a predominately mud or sand environment. A good quality tyre like the motoz that has strong side walls can handle the lesser pressure. Note this is not a wrap for any brand as other readers will have their favoutites too. There is no perfect tyre for all conditions so we compromise to our own taste which is usually based by our local conditions and what the local gurus suggest for that locale.

If your riding conditions are mixed and by that I mean hard pack, rock, sand and mud then you are in an area that will probably require an intermediate tyre such as a Dunlop geomax 51 or Motoz terrapactor. If it is slightly more rocky and hard there are in between tyres calles intermediate/hard. This scale goes up to hard and the other way to soft.

In all cases I use extra heavy duty tubes so I have the ability to run at lower pressure-I typically run an inter or inter/hard tyre for Australian east coast conditions. This enables me to really drop the pressure to say 10 psi if I get gaught in a predominately mud or sand environment. A good quality tyre like the motoz that has strong side walls can handle the lesser pressure. Note this is not a wrap for any brand as other readers will have their favoutites too. There is no perfect tyre for all conditions so we compromise to our own taste which is usually based by our local conditions and what the local gurus suggest for that locale.

I never heard of Motoz before. The Terrapactor S/T rear looks interesting; the front has tons of knobbies compared to something like an MX51. You say these are better for harder terrain? They look maybe $20 more than what I pay for Dunlops, although it looks like shipping is extra although it won't calculate how much more.

http://motoz.us

what is the difference between different tire widths? my bike has a 120/100 on the rear from the previous owner but most people use 120/110 i think? its time for a new tire and the one i have looks pretty fat i think i might like a skinnier tire but i'm not sure what difference it makes.

I would say the biggest challenge is actually defining what type of terrian you are riding....

some areas seem or preception is hard terrian but isnt...it may have a thin crust that the tire will break right thru or seems hard and is packed but your tire actually gets good traction and chews it up good...

or you think you have soft terrian...alot of places have this problem...soft couple inches on top and concrete hard under...the tire eats right thru the soft and you are actually riding on the concrete...

I found a tire I like and have used it ever since...now no longer available Dang Dunlop make my 756's again...I actually ran a soft/intermediate tire everywhere...I knew what it was going to do and it was going to react...dont keep switching...I ran this tire in the desert, rocks, sand, jeep roads, mx, mud....

so once you find a tire stick with it...

I do only trail and woods riding. Sometimes it's technical, sometimes dirt roads, it can be very tightly packed and sometimes very soft (Mud/sand). It varies so much that I'd probably be better off with a hard tire and sacrifice some grip to keep the tire alive longer.

I never heard of Motoz before. The Terrapactor S/T rear looks interesting; the front has tons of knobbies compared to something like an MX51. You say these are better for harder terrain? They look maybe $20 more than what I pay for Dunlops, although it looks like shipping is extra although it won't calculate how much more.

http://motoz.us

:ride: all...those...KNOBBIES! jeez that'd be a pain to work on with a knobby knife

IMO, the front tire is the one you need to pay more attention to. Don't know how riding conditions are in Alberta are in the summer (only been through there on a Honda Goldwing) but here in Kawlifownia things get pretty knarly. I found that a Dunlp 756 is king in loose stuff. Unfortunately they don't make that tire any more, I've got one more new one to use. My current bike that I purchased 2 months ago came with a Bridgestone Motocross 203....Good for the winter, IMO sucks in the summer. Floats around in the deep loose stuff, which is where the 756 shines. As far as rear tires go, the Dunlops have softer rubber - great for awhile, but after a summer in the rocks they're history. I buy Maxxis rears as they seem to wear like iron and last a relatively long time. I am looking into buying a rear trials tire, but that's a whole 'nother thread...

Here's my 2 cents...develop a circle of folks at your local bike shop and conversate with these openly vocal and honest folk. They will tell you what works and what doesnt for the region in which you are riding. I have never had a shop owner steer me wrong. And then, after you develop a relationship with these guys they will begin to share tips and hints on riding, where to ride, women and big fish.

Bench racing has its place!