Cleaning FCR Carb

Bike won't idle without choke. Removed FCR carb from bike, took off bowl. Removed all jets, floats and sprayed with carb cleaner, blew out with air, re-assembled to bike. Will now idle without choke, but only at max idle knob adjustment, and occasionally idle will surge as if it seeks a higher rpm, but then returns to bare bone idle.

Dealer said carb needs to be completely disassembled and boiled out over night. Any suggestions on how to do this, and where to find the special star driver required to disassemble completely the carb.

Thanks for any assists..........

Tim

Thanks for reply, did not replace pilot jet, tried to clean it.

Motoworld, El Cajon CA., large multivendor dealer, sends carbs out for service, complete disassemble, overnite in heated cleaning solution, new seals, re-assembly.

I have cleaned Mikuni carbs using choke/carb cleaner and air gun successfully years ago (DT-1, RT-1 circa 1968-70's). They indicated that newer carbs too complex for this method. Lack of consistent success on their part prompted the above cleaning method/policy.

Found deteriorating rubber gasket, gas tank petcock valve, which seems to match residue found in carb jets and elsewhere within it. Black, somewhat pliable, very sticky, doesn't dissolve with carb cleaner.

I re-jetted the WR450F when I first bought it successfully for the standard mods suggested within that forum (full throttle, airbox, YZ ignition wiring change, removal of smog pump, and exhaust stinger replacement.

Felt like a competely different bike, more power than my graying software/hardware capable of staying ahead of.....but love the low end torque for staying upright when needed.

Bike has sat idle for over a year, now trying to get back in the saddle again...

Tim