A daft question no doubt but still...

What is the strap on the front number plate for?

I know it goes around the bar pad, but what is it really for?

Its just that I have just fitted some new Easton bar clamps, bars, and pad to my YZ and the strap does not really fit round the pad.

Do I need it?

Can I just trim it off?Is there some need for it?

BTW... This is my very first post on Thumper so hello to all..!

Kelvin

Welcome to TT Kelvin! If it doesn't fit correctly just trim that thing off. I'm sure it has a purpose, just not sure what it is. I've had to cut it off on several of my bikes with no issues. Nice use of the word 'daft' too!:ride:

Larry

It has an intended purpose. When you brake hard or land from a jump, it keeps the brake line from snagging on or behind the number plate....when the suspension returns...you risk stretching/ruining your brake line. I have cut mine off in the past to look cool, but after learning myself I leave it on all my bikes......and I run pro-taper bars. Go ahead and cut it off to be cool guy, but you won't look to cool when your front brakes fail and you cant use your brakes........good question though...most people dont know.

Hi Jared... Thanks for the advice... Just what I was looking for.

Although, this part I found a little agressive.

Go ahead and cut it off to be cool guy, but you won't look to cool when your front brakes fail and you cant use your brakes........

Dont get me wrong, I realise your intent but all the same, a little aggressive.

Thanks again...

I cut one off and had the line get behind the plate. Got caught up in the triple clamp and actually tore the brake line in half. Not good. This was on an older bike with the flat style number plate. The newer bikes have number plates that fit tighter to the bars/clamps so it does not look like as much of a problem. It is a risk I still would not take.

This question is daft! :bonk:

In all seriousness, I cut mine off, and haven't had any problems so far...?

IMG_0067.jpg

If you run your line in back of the plate like CRF450Rider4Lifes bike you should be ok.:ride:

If you look closely it looks as though the number plate was made to accomodate the brake line. Most bikes arent like this, though I don't know what bike CRF450Rider4Life is showing.

I always thought it was to hold the number plate on in the event of a crash that broke the plate bolt or the plastic and so the race officials could still see your number. I guess it doesnt make as much sense because the 2 back plates are still going to be there.