Tuning your suspension - Where to start?

Bryan II

Where do I find out what spring I should be using for my rear shock spring? I have looked all over and haven't found the right weight rating for the spring I need. I weigh 300 pounds and need a stiffer spring for my weight. Front springs too. Someone please help me find this info.

a good place to find out what is right for you is Racetech's Website .

Heres a link to their website . just answer the questions

http://racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Looking for some help. Just starting out doing some enduro/woods racing. I got a 2013 KTM 350SX-F.  Trying to figure out on what springs I should be running in the front forks & on the rear spring? I'm about 6'2" 265lbs. Ant help would be great!! I was hitting some small jumps and the bike was landing hard.

Thanks

I am looking for some help..I got a 2013 KTM 350 SF-X. I am just starting to do some racing, enduro/woods riding. I am looking for assistance in putting the right fork springs and rear spring for my weight & height. I am 6'2" 265lbs.

I don't want to be bottoming out when I hit jumps.

Thanks

If you send out your suspension to factory connection for a revalve, they will set it up for you based on weight/riding level/ terrain and I believe after you pay for a revalve the first time you don't have to pay for it again on that same set of suspension if you want it changed/revalved again. That's what I've done and have always been pleased with it.

Edited by TMoto917

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you are repeating the same turn over and over or you will get quite confused. Yep softer suspension in the front forks, run tire pressure no more than 14lbs. Pinch flats are usually caused by old tires collapsing side walls. I have yet to pinch flat. Turn rebound all the way in to feel the extreme. You will notice horribly chatter on ground that is not smooth. Lighter wt oil in forks and shock is needed. Settles things down but go through the testing phase first that i talked about. Rebound turned in on the back helps with kick up as well as does more sag. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have a question.. I have a 2006 rm 125, last summer the linkage snapped on me, I just recently put the new linkage in and got it all back together. My bike is sitting SUPER tall . Any advice for me to make it sit a little lower again? I mean it's super tall.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question, i picked up a 2014 ktm 300xc, wp 4cs forks how hard is it to change the fork springs? what the process?

It is just like changing a spring in an old open bath KYB fork.  You need to loosen the fork cap from the outer tube, slide the outer tube down and you will see the spring.  Loosen the fork cap from the lock nut (19mm, you may have to use a lo-torque spanner if your 19mm spanner is too thick to fit onto the lock nut) on the piston rod and the spring will come right out.  Replace with new spring and then re-install the fork cap to the piston rod.  Torque spec for the lock nut to cap is 13ft/lbs and then tighten the outer tube to the fork cap (29.5ft/lbs). 

2004 but i just got a rmz 250 2004 but still any advise would help

Depending on what type of riding you are doing the stock springs should be fine, they are set fairly light compared to todays standards ( 0.43kg Front, 4.7kg Rear).  Most important thing is to make sure that you have the correct sag.  If you have specific clicker settings questions, there is no magic number for any rider and can vary depending on conditions etc. You can always call the shop and ask for Justin 714 692 2795, its much easier to figure out all of your specific details as far as bike setup over the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a new Yamaha 2014 YZ 250F and I was told that sag setup is different depending if you want better handling for cornering or better stability on rough faster tracks. Where should the Sag be for better cornering and then where should it be for better stability? Is there a difference? My weight with gear on is 205lb.

Thank you in advance