MRD/SSW system.....Carbon Fiber Heat shield....Help me design it....

So.....I got my hands on the epoxy that I believe will hold up to the heat. I will make a steel shield which I will then in turn copy in a mold, and make a CF print.

Since the system is so popular......and for good reasons....I thought it would be great to ask the owners here how they would like it to look, and perhaps together we could produce a shape that would match well to the great system....I know....tall order.......So help me out here, and fire away.....:ride::ride:

Erling

• Like 1

Great idea. How would it be mounted? Would it mount using some sort of clamp? If so, it would pretty much be universal, which would be nice.

Steve

I will tack on two round nuts on the header.....but I will make it so it will work with the supplied brackets as well for easy removal.....hint hint.... :ride::ride:

Erling

i had the same idea, i'd like to do it as the "drz" logo, what do you think?:ride:

I am going back and forward with the logo.......MRD....MRD/SSW.....DRZ....My own CF logo.....I think there are a ton of possibility there, but are leaning on leaving future prints "logo less" as to leave it up to each individual.....:ride::ride:

Erling

A heat shield is a heat shield, right? Why not make a universal shield. Reason I say that is because I'm going to be installing a Muzzy tonight :ride:

Maybe you could make different logos, or no logos. Id proabably prefer no logo. Just something that works good and looks cool.

Steve

A heat shield is a heat shield, right? Why not make a universal shield. Reason I say that is because I'm going to be installing a Muzzy tonight :ride:

Steve

I soooo wanted to throw that in.?

I have the Wheeling guard on my MRD right now . It is too short it looks out of proportion. I tried the stocker and well it's just ugly. Now I really like the look of the Yoshi one, I can't bring myself to add it to the MRD (:ride: for Dave).

It is about the right proportion for the pipes. So if you were to start sized around there. That would allow a decent area for a logo or not. Maybe taper the ends at like 65 degrees or so... Or maybe straight 45 degree chamfer, although around 65 might look more graceful.

Maybe you could make different logos, or no logos. Id proabably prefer no logo. Just something that works good and looks cool.

Steve

That is a good point...... It will be curved to follow the bend in the MRD/SSW header.....But properly will fit most headers...... But be custom shaped to stand out with Dave and Eddies pipe. As far as the logo.....If any..... I thought about making a custom one.......Like I ( April and Richard at monarchtrophy.com in San Antonio,TX) did with the SSW.....

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

But....It get`s expensive fast....Perhaps more so than what people want to pay, So I think I will leave it logofree..... Then you can have it send to them in San Antonio, and have whatever on there you want......

:ride::ride:

Erling

I soooo wanted to throw that in. :D

I have the Wheeling guard on my MRD right now . It is too short it looks out of proportion. I tried the stocker and well it's just ugly. Now I really like the look of the Yoshi one, I can't bring myself to add it to the MRD (? for Dave).

It is about the right proportion for the pipes. So if you were to start sized around there. That would allow a decent area for a logo or not. Maybe taper the ends at like 65 degrees or so... Or maybe straight 45 degree chamfer, although around 65 might look more graceful.

I hear you.....My conscience would do a number on me....If I put a Yosh on Daves pipe...... :D:ride: I like the champfer idea..... I even thought instead of a round curvature following the pipe....One could make it in 3 equal bends......Argggggg....the visualization.......:ride::D

:D:ride:

Erling

Not sure if this help you but I placed my order with Dave @ MRD and for $25 he is including a heat shield. He described it as "racey". I can include a pic once it arrives, not sure how long that will be.

That would be great...... I was not aware that he offered one..... Dave.... Would you mind posting a picture for inspirational purposes.........?:ride:

:ride::ride:

Erling

If you don't mind me asking, what resin are you using? US Composites epoxy goes up to only 190ish, so I'm guessing it's not that. I just tried Resin Services HTR-212 and like it lots! It's water clear, not very expensive, strong but flexable, and can handle 300f+.

I am going try a epoxy from Polymerproducts. They have a ebay store, and well as thei big store counterpart.....they are a little cheaper at their ebay store, but I really liked what I saw, so after speaking to one of their lead guys Gerald....It seems like he has a good hand in the formulation of epoxys. His store is well done and very informative for people doing this the first time. So I got two kinds........This for the skid plate.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310131342540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And this for the heat shield...... 400deg. F. with out any deformity.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310159280143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That said.... This is the first try from this vendor......But after speaking with them/him.....Hi knew his stuff.....Not just trying to sell me something.

It will be interesting....:ride::ride:

Erling

I am going try a epoxy from Polymerproducts. They have a ebay store, and well as thei big store counterpart.....they are a little cheaper at their ebay store, but I really liked what I saw, so after speaking to one of their lead guys Gerald....It seems like he has a good hand in the formulation of epoxys. His store is well done and very informative for people doing this the first time. So I got two kinds........This for the skid plate.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310131342540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And this for the heat shield...... 400deg. F. with out any deformity.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310159280143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That said.... This is the first try from this vendor......But after speaking with them/him.....Hi knew his stuff.....Not just trying to sell me something.

It will be interesting....:ride::ride:

Erling

Wow!!! That's some pretty impressive stuff! I just looked into a Huntsman resin that has the same properties, but they wanted $1200+ for 5 gallons of resin, no hardener.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Are there any CF heat shields out there to compare with? May want to get a few photos of other bike's to form an idea for your project. How blingy can you get? Can it have some metal bits in it, or for trim?? Good luck on an interesting project.

I can get as complicated as....well....about anything.... But I am going to keep the cost down....This stuff can spiral out of control really fast.....:ride::ride:

Erling

Wow!!! That's some pretty impressive stuff! I just looked into a Huntsman resin that has the same properties, but they wanted $1200+ for 5 gallons of resin, no hardener.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Yeppers..... I thought it was too good to be true myself......But then after talking to Gerald.....I felt better. I have a feeling that they are going to get more orders than they wan`t ....till they catch up...... I will keep you posted......:ride::ride:

Erling