WR450f and YZ450f confusion

Ok, I've been doing some research on these bikes because I'm looking at a new bike for the geeerage. One thing seems to be a little odd. I like the fact that the YZ450 is considerably lighter and I don't mind not having e-start but.........reliability is a big issue for me. That is where I'm confused.

Most everyone says that the YZ450 and WR450 have the same motor except that the WR450 is clogged up with a some power robbing emissions stuff. If that is the case, is the YZ as reliable as the WR?

The reason that I ask is because I've also seen a few threads in which people are looking for the most reliable 450 bike out there. There are always lots of recommendations for the WR450 but I don't think I've really ever seen any recommendations for the YZ. What gives? Is one typically more reliable than the other? That would suggest to me that the engines are different. But that is not what most threads say, they almost all say that the engine is essentially the same.

Ok, I've been doing some research on these bikes because I'm looking at a new bike for the geeerage. One thing seems to be a little odd. I like the fact that the YZ450 is considerably lighter and I don't mind not having e-start but.........reliability is a big issue for me. That is where I'm confused.

Most everyone says that the YZ450 and WR450 have the same motor except that the WR450 is clogged up with a some power robbing emissions stuff. If that is the case, is the YZ as reliable as the WR?

The reason that I ask is because I've also seen a few threads in which people are looking for the most reliable 450 bike out there. There are always lots of recommendations for the WR450 but I don't think I've really ever seen any recommendations for the YZ. What gives? Is one typically more reliable than the other? That would suggest to me that the engines are different. But that is not what most threads say, they almost all say that the engine is essentially the same.

IMO the YZ is as reliable as a WR. I had both and none of them had a problem ever.

I would think they are the same reliabilty wise though the WR does have a lower rev ceiling so that might make a bit more reliability. Otherwise, as you stated, the motors are essentially the same.

The reliability reputation might come from the fact that WR owners are generally casual trail riders and not constantly redlining there bikes.

That said I've raced my 07 WR for 3 yrs in hare scrambles and she's as reliable as her reputation.

Valves still haven't moved :ride:

Is the 2010 YZ450 essentially the same as the 2009? I'll probably have the choice between the two. I thought I remember hearing that the 2010 is a totally new build. Is this true? If so, the 2010 might not be nearly as reliable as the 2009....:ride::ride:

Buying a new bike can be frustrating for a tight a$$. I just want to make sure I'm getting what I want. I appreciate all the help guys.

Zen and the art. My experience with two different Yamaha's, yz250f, and 450f, is that they are built to last. About 100 hours on my 450 last summer riding the mountains here in Idaho. All of my valve-cam clearance's have not moved. Bash plate, radiator braces, spark arrestor, big tank, hand guards then dial in your carb and suspension and you have the best bike in the world, in my humble opinion.