Oil Tank Question (Pics Included)

My 2006 YZ250F has been slowly leaking oil since I bought it used. I finally took the oil tank out and found the leak. I am confused as to how the threaded piece fits into the oil tank because it seems to just slip into the hole. So my questions are "is the threaded piece supposed to be welded into the oil tank or pressed in?" and "what would you do to fix the crack? take to machine shop? JB Weld? Buy a new oil tank?" This is the lower shifter side support for the oil tank. Thanks in advance

0212001438.jpg

0212001439.jpg

I am thinking about JB Welding it in just like this and covering the crack. Your thoughts?

0212001439a.jpg

try some jb weld

Get it professionally welded. This is your oil tank were talking about here. All the oil leaks out=seized motor.

I wouldn't JB weld that, get a new one. If parts from the JB weld break off it's going to cost you more than an oil tank.

Not sure about how it's attached or pressed in, but it doesn't look right. From the pics it looks like it cracked and broke off.

Get a new one!

My 2006 YZ250F has been slowly leaking oil since I bought it used. I finally took the oil tank out and found the leak. I am confused as to how the threaded piece fits into the oil tank because it seems to just slip into the hole. So my questions are "is the threaded piece supposed to be welded into the oil tank or pressed in?" and "what would you do to fix the crack? take to machine shop? JB Weld? Buy a new oil tank?" This is the lower shifter side support for the oil tank. Thanks in advance

0212001438.jpg

0212001439.jpg

I am thinking about JB Welding it in just like this and covering the crack. Your thoughts?

0212001439a.jpg

i have a used tank i will let you have for the cost of shipping. pm me if you want it

not sure that jb weld will work well on aluminum especially with the vibrations and hits it will take. find a local welder who can tig weld it for 20 bucks or something and your problem is solved. even making a wanted ad for a welder on craigslist will help out

I had a similar problem with a 2008 oil tank, took it to a welding shop and they said they would try, but no guarantees. Apparently it is what they call a liquid weld, low temp bonding almost like a solder. They fixed mine and pressure tested it and it is just fine. 40+ hours and counting

I had the same problem with my 08 wr250 a month ago, only with the top boss that the bolt screws into to allow air to flow in when draining the oil. Guess I may have tightened it a bit tight, but it tore the boss out when I was undoing the bolt. I was very lucky that it happened that I was just pottering in the shed and had no riding or races I was preparing for, the last ride I did was three days at Danseys pass and I thought about changing the oil for the third day ( I like to keep the oil changes regular at 10 hours) but got to drinking too much beer, if I had it would have ment no riding for me for the day of the main event! Anyway I pulled the tank out and cleaned it up with degreaser and IPA took it down to a welder well regarded for tig welding of radiators (used to Welding differing thicknesses of materials) He put a good fillet of weld from the boss to the tank and to the mounting bracket surrounding the boss, sealed up well and looks mint, will never give a problem again, I would suggest people get it done before it becomes a problem as it is a stress point every time an oil change is done.

i have a used tank i will let you have for the cost of shipping. pm me if you want it

sweeet deal.... sold! :ride:

sweeet deal.... sold! :ride:

A generous gift I think.