Please help

I have a brand new 400 xc-w 2009. For a couple of days now I've been putting some hard equipment parts to protect my investment(investment right! :ride: )

Tonight the only thing I did is put a neoprene for the rear shock, a case guard (for the cluth piston) and greased the 2 adjuster bolts of the rear wheel.

And now, the chain won't turn freely...I thought it was the wheel that was not align...nop...it was good...i remove the rear wheel and try to turn the chain with my hands and it' was very very hard to do so...***???

thanks!

Are you sure that the bike is not in gear?

I'm looking at the same bike, how do you like it? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it. What other bikes were you considering?

Are you sure that the bike is not in gear?

Hahhahahahaha that would be funny. I bet it is.:ride::ride:

Hahhahahahaha that would be funny. I bet it is.:ride::ride:

I like a good sense of humor...haha!

It's in neutral guys...I didn't say that it don't turns...it turns but I have to apply some amount of force that I judge a bit to much.

But I think it's because of the chain (o ring) stiffness when it's new...because when the rear wheel is off the bike, the chain is really hard to move back and forth...and the front sprocket seems to turn freely...

I'm looking at the same bike, how do you like it? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it. What other bikes were you considering?

Mine, I didn't rode it yet. I've rode some 400 in the past (a 2005 and a 2007) and I just loved it! Extremely good traction, good power (not too much...just enough)...the perfect trail bike!

I live in Quebec, Canada and I paid 7500$ (in canadian dollars). I know that in the US KTM are a bit cheaper than here...but here, it's a good price. I have also a 250SX-f 2009...I can't wait for the snow to melt!

Thanks for the info Doug and enjoy your new bike!

it is either the chain dragging on the rear chain guide, or the front is rubbing on the case saver. or it is just that you are not used to the x-ring chain which does have a tremendous amount of drag when it is cold and not under any load.

if you are used to a mx bike the chains have very little drag, you can spin the rear tire and it will turn full rotation or more, not with the xring, it will stop almost he second you stop pushing it.

you still should make sure it is not dragging the sprocket on the rear guide.

have you changed the gearing? sometimes the rear guide needs the bracket flipped to clear a bigger sprocket, mine still drags a bit

it is either the chain dragging on the rear chain guide, or the front is rubbing on the case saver. or it is just that you are not used to the x-ring chain which does have a tremendous amount of drag when it is cold and not under any load.

if you are used to a mx bike the chains have very little drag, you can spin the rear tire and it will turn full rotation or more, not with the xring, it will stop almost he second you stop pushing it.

have you changed the gearing? sometimes the rear guide needs the bracket flipped to clear a bigger sprocket, mine still drags a bit

You are of a great help...thanks alot...I can breathe now :ride:

Seriously...thanks for the info...it's very nice of you!

also, comparing with my Sx-f 250...there was such a difference I thought it wasn't normal...thanks!

if you are still concerned....take the master link off, slip the chain out without takeing the wheel loosejust pull the chain out and then spin the rear wheel. it should spin much more freely. and the chain will feel like it will barely bend....that is normal and why nobody runs x or o ring chains for mx, too much drag

The 2009 has a an o-ring chain. The 2010's have the x-ring chain. You have confused the two. The x-ring spins very freely. The o-ring chain has lots of drag.

I have the 2009 XC-W and my chain is very stiff until it is well lubricated. And yes, it robs horsepower. Hence the reason KTM went with the X-ring chain in 2010.

Keep it lubed with a quality chain lube and you should feel it loosen up a bit. It will still be somewhat stiff but not as "tight" as you describe.

Good luck!

The 2009 has a an o-ring chain. The 2010's have the x-ring chain. You have confused the two. The x-ring spins very freely. The o-ring chain has lots of drag.

I have the 2009 XC-W and my chain is very stiff until it is well lubricated. And yes, it robs horsepower. Hence the reason KTM went with the X-ring chain in 2010.

Keep it lubed with a quality chain lube and you should feel it loosen up a bit. It will still be somewhat stiff but not as "tight" as you describe.

Good luck!

dont know about your 09 or 10 but i have an 08 and it is an x ring and it is crazy tight and always has been. putting on the masterlink is way hard, you have to use a large pair of channel locks, and half the time i still end up with a blood blister.

an x-ring is a modified shape of a o-ring, it still is little rubber rings in between each link....trust me, ive done this a while:thumbsup:

The x-ring chain on the 2010's is as loose as a bicycle chain. Very free wheeling. I'm going to switch to that chain once my 2009 wears out.

that's some good tip's , cant wait till the snow melt's also!!!!

jack i was at the dealer yesterday and pulled on a few chains, and the sx and xcf models the chain was really flexible, but the xcw and exc the chains were as stiff as, say a flex stem on a desk lamp, or hose on a parts washer tank. very stiff. if i kinked 2 links into a v shape they would stay like that.

Huh...I'll be darned. Not that way on the 2010 XC-W's at my local dealership. I will ask them about it.

hey jack, just to be clear...im not arguing with you, or being confrontational.

we are probably looking at the same thing from opposite sides type of thing.

if there is any confusion for the original poster, i said before, without loosening the wheel or changing anything else, pop off the master link, slip out the chain, and spin the rear wheel and front sprocket in nuetral.

if both should spin quite freely, then you know it is just the chain.

if each link of the chain feels realatively the same stiffness, it is just how YOUR chain is. whether it is an x or o-ring, it is just a tight chain as many sealed ring chains are. :ride:

Edited by kellymac530
spelling again, im a dig dong

Kellymac, its all good. I thought the discussion was healthy and never felt any confrontation at all. You are absolutely correct about taking the chain off to determine where the "friction" is coming from.

I'm not sure about previous x-ring chains. Here is a link that mention the "new" x-ring design from DID for 2010.

http://www.ktm.com/400-XC-W.100151.20.html

Here is a link to DID's website. They claim their x-ring chain is the world's lowest friction chain.

http://didchain.com/xring1.htm

Just sitting on a 2009 and a 2010 at the dealer, the difference is dramatic. The 2010 rolls back and forth effortlessly. The 2009 feels like it is sitting in a puddle of molasses.

When I lube my chain on my 2009 400, my kid breaks a sweat spinning the wheel for me. :ride:

I'm jealous of your california riding Kellymac. I have never had the opportunity to ride out west. Maybe someday...it would be cool to ride with you.

Jack

Heres a question. I have a brandy new, never used Renthal Gold Chain that I bought like 3 or 4 years ago but never opened. When I opened it the other day and went to put it on I realized that it is short. (Probably why it was in the discount bin at the bike shop.) Even though it is a 520 chain, it seems like it is short 1-2 links. I can achieve the proper chain tension, but, in order to do so my tension bolts are in ALL the way. Is this ok. Id much rather have the tension bolts out 1/2" or so like they normally are, but at the same time I dont have one hundred some odd bucks to drop on a new chain right this moment.

The 520 is a measurement of the chain's width, not its length.

I think it is ok to run that chain on your bike. It will stretch some but not enough to put you back to the middle of the adjustment range.

It will change your wheelbase and will affect the handling characteristics of your bike. The shorter wheelbase will help you corner better but will reduce your high speed stability. However, I doubt you will notice it much. It will have a noticeable change on how easy the front end comes up though. If you do lots of steep hill climbs, you may want to consider this.