IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

For those that have heli coiled the right side oil drain threads...

I know im not the only one whos stripped it

When you drilled out the hole and re tapped it for the heli coil, did you take the inner clutch cover were the drain is in completley OFF to do it? Or did you do it with it still on the bike. Im asking if its worth to take it off and buy a new gasket to avoid hitting anything with the drill or getting shavings in the bottom end. Thanks

I left the cover on. When I drilled and tapped it, I covered the bit or tap in grease.Then just periodically clean the bit and regreased it. The grease will trap all of the shavings

Thanks, awsome, thats just what i was looking for. If i left the cover on id plan on using grease on it. How did you go about removing the tang?

You can remove the tang with a thin set of needle nose pliers. It is best to push to brake it and the pull it out. If you let it go pull the cover.

I would pull the cover. It is not that bad and I don't like the idea of getting chips in there. You probably will only catch most of the chips with grease on the drill bit.

Gary

I just did this to my 380mxc. What a pisser. Odd threads too. But went to my local hardware store and found a longer bolt. Cut to size (longer than the original), was able to start in existing threads. I bought a couple more of these odd thread size bolts. Not bad for a 1.50.

Autozone has a pluged type bolt that I epoxy-ed in. Worked great. NO drilling/ NO tapping/ NO shavings.......

Picture?