Bike wobbles above 60

When I get up above 60mph on the highway the bike wobbles back and forth, not up and down. Gets worse when a truck goes by and blows me around. It wobbles in the steering but not consistent only during bumps or traffic wind. Has anyone had this problem? Any Ideas?

I would just make sure everything, I mean everything is tight. I think it's natural depending on the wind and the conditions to wobble. It's just a 300 lb machine and a slight wind or a big truck could make it wobble.... But I would check everything:excuseme:

Believe it or not, the problem is most likely you. When you are hitting bumps and being blown around by the wind you are putting inputs into the bar that are making the bike wobble. This is common, and is why road racers are very sure to ride "loose" and put most of their weight on the tank. Not so easy to do on a dual sport or dirt bike.

You should be able to decrease the wobble by trying not to be so stiff on the bike, dont hold on to the bars with a death grip. Relax your arms and you should get less wobble.

Hope this helps. It always has helped me.

When I get up above 60mph on the highway the bike wobbles back and forth, not up and down. Gets worse when a truck goes by and blows me around. It wobbles in the steering but not consistent only during bumps or traffic wind. Has anyone had this problem? Any Ideas?

I had the same issue. Acerbis SM front fender worked for me... :ride:

First... I would check the head bearings. If they check out... then what the guys above said holds. People who have death grip on the bars normally cause wobble.

If you have rimlocks, are they counterbalanced?

You guys got me thinkin. It has a touring windshield that may be catchin the wind! I just installed it for winter riding.

Check that your tire pressure is correct.

What bike do you have, s, e, k, sm? What tires? Stock, knobby, sm?

The bike does get blown around a bit, but I ride the freeway at 70mph+ every day and it's not really too bad. I did have some instability when I was running the D606 knobbies, but now I have a second set of wheels with the trailwings and it's much better.

You guys got me thinkin. It has a touring windshield that may be catchin the wind! I just installed it for winter riding.
Like the other said check the bike over and loosen up it makes a big difference. Some of my friends had the same problem and they were fighting the bike.

I put new tyres on and a dampner on my DRZ made a big diference

Wheel bearings

Stearing head bearings

Swing arm bearings

Tire pressure

Tires

How you're riding it

Suspension condition and settings...

Check those and get back to us.

I had the same problem with my 2007 S model, these are the things I did:

1, lubricate and check suspension torques, use the manual and torque items in specified order!

2, ensure proper spring rate front and rear for your weight to ensure weight distributed properly (I upped mine using eibach and racetech parts/215lbs, 4gal IMS tank)

3, check tire pressure (I run ~23psi w/stock tires)

4, ensure wheels balanced consider having a dealer do this as well as true the wheels or build a jig and have a spare weekend to play with it and tape on/clamp on wheel weights. I used "Ride On" puncture preventer, (commonly called slime) which also help to balance the wheel in motion, not sure how well this works

5, SM type front fender

6, added Scotts steering dampner (most of my troubles were corrected before this)

7, dont squeeze the crap out of the bars

keep in mind the bike has a pretty steep rake angle, after all its a dirt bike you can ride on the street and not originally intended for high speed open road riding. You'll note the SM model has a different front end configuration... Good luck.

i had the same issue for a bout 2 weeks.

as i relaxed on the bike its gone away.

it was a death grip. an not letting the bike roll on bumps... be free-er and all will be well

has anyone seen Speedway GP? the fast guys just rest on the bike and let it drive around even pastrana rides loose, and he is no slouch

Interestingly, when you do get the death wobbles the easy way out of it is to accelerate..

Mine gets a bad wobble at about 85 mph, I wish I could power through it but at that speed your almost at the end of your top end. I tried taking the mirrors off and no luck, I have had my springs redone for my weight and it still does it. I don't grip it (death grip) the only other thing is the front finder. I took it back to the dealer and they re-balanced the front tire.

I put new tyres on and a dampner on my DRZ made a big diference

me too...

I fought a bad wobble for a while. I checked every bolt on the bike and took the rims off and reinstalled but it was still there. I just replaced my rear tire yesterday and the wobble went away. I couldn't do above 60.

You mean they aren't supposed to do that?

I was having wobble at around 55 mph. I recently replaced my front wheel and it went away completely