Swingarm Bearing Removal?

What is the best way to remove swingarm bearings from the arm? I pulled my swingarm off and my bearings were shot. I removed the inner race and the needle bearings, but the outer part of the bearings are stuck in place. I tried tapping them with a hammer and properly sized socket, but they are siezed. I am pretty sure the previous owner never greased or even thought about looking at any bearings on this bike!

I don't have access to a press, so is there any trick to removing them without one? Thanks for any input.

I just finished doing this on my yz250 and I used a propane torch to heat the aluminum (to expand it) and then put it in a vise and pushed it out using a socket between the race and the vice jaw. It was very difficult to remove requiring several cycles of heat to finally push it out.

To reinstall the new, I put the races in dry ice (to shrink) and heated the aluminum (expand the hole) again. That was enough to get the new started, but you'll likely need to push them in with the vice (I did). You don't want to tap them in because the needle bearing races are not strong enough to withstand the blows.

no vice.. find a friend that has one or use it as an excuse to buy one. Very handy shop tool :ride:

Thanks, I guess that is what I will try first.

Another trick you can use is to get some allthread (long threaded rod) and use that as a push-pull tool.

Another trick you can use is to get some allthread (long threaded rod) and use that as a push-pull tool.

You mean thread the rod through the bearing and then tap it through?

I finally got some pics of the way I do it working on my 94.

Usually the bearings have already fallen out and all you're left with is the outer race. Use a tool like the one pictured and carefully cut through the race. This relieves and press-fit pressure and the race practically falls out. I don't even try to press them out anymore. It's ok if you nick the aluminum, just dont go too deep.

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

Something like this, correct?

Its a bearing press similar to the motion pro except it cost about $2 to make.

bearingpress.jpg

I got them out! I had to grind through them with a dremel. It took a while, but they slipped right out after grinding through them.

Next step is getting the new ones in. Man, what a freaking pain in the a#$!

You mean thread the rod through the bearing and then tap it through?

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, was incommunicado with the interwebs.

Something like this, correct?

Its a bearing press similar to the motion pro except it cost about $2 to make.

bearingpress.jpg

Yeah, like that.

I got them out! I had to grind through them with a dremel. It took a while, but they slipped right out after grinding through them.

Next step is getting the new ones in. Man, what a freaking pain in the a#$!

Clean the bores out with some light sandpaper to remove any rust. Put your new bearings in the freezer overnight. Put a light coat of grease on the inside of the bore in the swingarm, and they should almost fall in (the cold causing the bearings to contract). You may have to lightly tap them in.

Clean the bores out with some light sandpaper to remove any rust. Put your new bearings in the freezer overnight. Put a light coat of grease on the inside of the bore in the swingarm, and they should almost fall in (the cold causing the bearings to contract). You may have to lightly tap them in.

Well, I tried that already. I have had the bearings in the freezer for a few days. I cleaned up the inside of the swingarm, heated it with a propane torch, then tried to put the cold bearing in. It barely even went in. Maybe

1/8". I tried lightly tapping it with a rubber mallet, but it wasn't about to go in. I might try again with some grease.

Well, I tried that already. I have had the bearings in the freezer for a few days. I cleaned up the inside of the swingarm, heated it with a propane torch, then tried to put the cold bearing in. It barely even went in. Maybe

1/8". I tried lightly tapping it with a rubber mallet, but it wasn't about to go in. I might try again with some grease.

They dont fall in, you need to press them in.

You definately need to press them in somehow either using a...press, or a vise or c-clamp or homemade thingy with the threaded rod.

Hammer=Broke Bearings

They dont fall in, you need to press them in.

+1 on this. I put mine on dry ice and heated the arm. That was just enough to get them started before the races heated and expanded again. Once started pull/press them in. :ride: