wow, hurt my back today lifting the bike.. suggestions?

ok so I was unloading the bike out of the back of the truck, like I normally do it... but I also did a friends too, it was a 450x which is a few lbs heavier than my 450, I easily toss mine around though so I didnt think the extra 20 or so lbs would matter.

I dont know if I lifted wrong or what, I must have, because HOLY SHIT does the middle of my back ever hurt. I can bend backwards, but forwards and side to side hurts like HELL. and when I turn certain ways its hard to breathe..what does my back have to do with breathing?

I kinda want to go see a doctor, but im not a fan of sitting there for an hour waiting, letting them poke and prod me and tell me to go home and rest and come back. theyre a waste of time IMO. but a back injury is kinda serious. I was able to ride today though.

anyone in here ever had this happen? Im hoping I just pulled a muscle and it goes away in a few days.

Just a pulled muscle. Take some motrin, heat and rest. muscle relaxers will help if you have them.

Rum and advil usually works for me.

After you do that once you'll be more prone to injury in the future. GET A RAMP!!!.....and save you back. :ride: A little R&R and you should feel better in a few days. :ride:

I have pretty bad back problems also (I know I'm only 14, no need to tell me again). Make sure when you lift your bike, try using mostly your knees and let your back do the little work. When I pull my back, I just rest for a day or two. Hey, A3 is coming up! :ride:

And, a ramp is also a good addition.

Workout!

try using mostly your knees and let your back do the little work.

And, a ramp is also a good addition.

thanks Cpt.Obvious :ride:

I do have a ramp but too lazy to use it. I find it easier to just lift and bikes in and out with a friend... theyre not that heavy. the only reason I find it easier is because my stand is about as wide as a 2x4 so you have to hit it striaght on, if you come at it with the tiniest angle you miss it and its VERY aggravating.

Workout!

I do workout, I think its just bad luck this time. ive done it this way hundreds of times with my bike. my stance was wrong as there was a little ice on the ground, and the bike was a few lbs heavier than I thought.

if anyones wondering how I do it; bike is in the truck.. let it roll backwards slowly while holding front brake until the back tire falls off, and the frame is sitting on the end of the tailgate, balance the bike and hop down. then I grab the handlebar with my right hand to keep it straight, and the swingarm with my left arm. lift the bike and pull backwards. I can usually load up and unload, without a ramp, by myself pretty easily (loading up is a tad harder). yes ive got more muscle than brains and should probably invest in a nice, wide, solid ramp that can be ridden up and down... that would be very nice.

yea, i think i pulled something in my back when i had to help lift a go kart in the back of a truck. i started weight lifting at school the next week so it didn't have time to heal and the first couple weeks sucked. Cpt. obvious #2 here with don't strain it again until it's better (about 4-5 weeks for me) and don't cover the pain with meds. thinking you're 100% again and make it worse.

That's Sgt. Obvious to you, sonny. :ride:

And, believe or not, some people don't lift with their knees. Like the Mexicans at the warehouse. :lol:

Its called getting old! :ride:

Bet that's more than a pulled muscle.

ok so I was unloading the bike out of the back of the truck, like I normally do it... but I also did a friends too, it was a 450x which is a few lbs heavier than my 450, I easily toss mine around though so I didnt think the extra 20 or so lbs would matter.

I dont know if I lifted wrong or what, I must have, because HOLY SHIT does the middle of my back ever hurt. I can bend backwards, but forwards and side to side hurts like HELL. and when I turn certain ways its hard to breathe..what does my back have to do with breathing?

I kinda want to go see a doctor, but im not a fan of sitting there for an hour waiting, letting them poke and prod me and tell me to go home and rest and come back. theyre a waste of time IMO. but a back injury is kinda serious. I was able to ride today though.

anyone in here ever had this happen? Im hoping I just pulled a muscle and it goes away in a few days.

Hello! You have probably teared your muscle apart a little bit. You have small muscles beetween your vertebras that stretches and rotate you spine. This is a point where many back injuries is. That you feel pain is because your ribs are connected to your spine on ligaments, and it´s not a wild guess that you can have a "locking" between your vertebra and rib. If the ribs don´t move you feel pain. It usually feels that you can´t breathe in enough, and when you do its painful. And don´t take to much painkillers, because you don´t feel if you do any more harm to your back! Try to move yourself as normal as possible, but not in the aeras where youn feel much pain. The worst thing you can do is just laying flat and don´t do anything. Your healing will take double time because of bad circulation, and you can also get stiffer in your back if it doesn´t heel with movement. When you feel ok, go to an Ostheopath and let him check that you don´t have any misaligned vertebras and ribs that don´t move when you breathe!

I work with personal training and rehabilitation here in Sweden. Good luck, and sorry for my bad spelling!

Johnny:sweden:

It's called weak abdominals. Your abdominal muscles are the muscle group that supply the support for your spine and back. You can't have a strong back with out stengthing you abs. Just because you have a six pack doesn't necessarily mean you have strong abdominal muscles. It just means they are toned very well, and you don't carry a lot of body fat in your abdomen like most men. You more than likely just spained a muscle. Give it rest and time to heal up. One muscle strain does not make it any easier to strain your back in the future. There is no permanent damage as a result of a muscle strain.

Man, I got my back a few weeks ago when i was just working on the bike. I hefted it up on the stand, moving it a couple feet in the process. Same thing I always do. Didn't notice when I did it, but I was sore for days!

Give it some rest and you'll be fine. Heating pads are good for pain if it's really sore.

I do have a ramp but too lazy to use it. I find it easier to just lift and bikes in and out with a friend... theyre not that heavy. the only reason I find it easier is because my stand is about as wide as a 2x4 so you have to hit it striaght on, if you come at it with the tiniest angle you miss it and its VERY aggravating.

I do workout, I think its just bad luck this time. ive done it this way hundreds of times with my bike. my stance was wrong as there was a little ice on the ground, and the bike was a few lbs heavier than I thought.

if anyones wondering how I do it; bike is in the truck.. let it roll backwards slowly while holding front brake until the back tire falls off, and the frame is sitting on the end of the tailgate, balance the bike and hop down. then I grab the handlebar with my right hand to keep it straight, and the swingarm with my left arm. lift the bike and pull backwards. I can usually load up and unload, without a ramp, by myself pretty easily (loading up is a tad harder). yes ive got more muscle than brains and should probably invest in a nice, wide, solid ramp that can be ridden up and down... that would be very nice.

It sounded like Captn Obvious had sound advice to me! If you hurt your back because your too lazy to use a ramp then dont bitch about it when it happens!

I have back problems stemming from a bad car wreck I was in along time ago and learning to lift with your knees instead of your back is very important if you want to keep from being plagued with chronic back pain.

Use your ramp.

Go to a Chiropractor if it doesn't lessen by Monday.

Soak in a hot tub if you can (works kinda like a human crock pot, everything softens up).

Use your ramp.

Go to a Chiropractor if it doesn't lessen by Monday.

Soak in a hot tub if you can (works kinda like a human crock pot, everything softens up).

+1 on chiropracter. Sorted me out properly when all a doc wanted to do was give me painkillers.

Gotta agree with the Chiropractor suggestion, but with caution. Find one that is recommended by people you trust. I've been to a couple that I definitely won't be back to, no matter how much I hurt. Troy341

I've had 5 bulged or herniated discs in my back at the same time. chiropractor didn't work for me. (though I wouldn't walk after seeing him) Went to therapy for a while and learned how to excerscise it out. I bought an inversion table and use it when I have problems, It works.

A heating pad when soon after a back injury will make it worse, swells the tissue. use ice for a while with alieve.

..And get a folding atv ramp!!

when lifting my 250 into the bed of a truck, i usually heave the bike onto my hip/upper leg, then i'm able to stop for a second and hurl the back wheel onto the gate of the truck where my dad grabs it.