Sign in to follow this  

What size sprockets do I need?

Well its time for a new chain on my DRZ400s so I also want to replace the sprockets. As far as I know it is the stock gearing and the fastest i have had it to is about 92 mph. I would like to get a little more on the bottom end and cut the top speed down to about 80 MPH. Can anyone tell me what size sprockets I need or how to calculate it?

Thanks

Can't tell you how to calculate it but I can tell you that I have been very please with 14/44 for street/dual sport and 14/47 for off-road. I like this set-up because with the red loctite fix on the CS sprocket all I have to do is swap out the rear sprocket for my chosen ride.

Can't tell you how to calculate it but I can tell you that I have been very please with 14/44 for street/dual sport and 14/47 for off-road. I like this set-up because with the red loctite fix on the CS sprocket all I have to do is swap out the rear sprocket for my chosen ride.

So what kind of top speed do you see with your 14/44 on the street? Can anyone tell me what stock gearing is?

thanks

So what kind of top speed do you see with your 14/44 on the street? Can anyone tell me what stock gearing is?

thanks

I've never checked for top speed on the street and don't really ride my DRZ for that purpose. I can say it would not be great on the freeway but that's not what the DRZ was made for anyway. I've comfortably done many road trips on it but mostly back road stuff.

The stock gearing is 15/44.

14/45 is great on trails, 2nd gear starts on the street but its screamin @ 60mph.

14/47 is what I use in the trails and around town, and in a tuck flat out I can hit 80mph (tho it shakes like a Third World Space Shuttle while it's doing it!). Much happier cruising at 65ish, and it's a beast in the low gears in the trails and around town.

I run a 47 rear and a 120 90 18 metzler saraha 3 slightly shorter than stock guess its worth 1.5-2 teeth. 1st gear feels good less cluch slipping in tighter

going.

14/47 is stock geraing for Australian E models and seems to be overrevving at 100Kph.

I changed to a 14/44 and found that first was still low enough for the tight stuff and 100Kph was a lot more comfortable as the engine is working a bit and still got legs after that.

Also the 14/44 seems to be a better gearing for around town virtually splitting the standard gearing so that at 60Kph is comfortable in fourth rather than screaming or lagging in fifth.

Rear sprocket change still with stock chain length.:ride:

Going to revive this as to not start another thread.

I have 14/44 and love it for off road. I havent been on a thumper in 10 years and not having a tach i am curious what RPMs i am at when trying to do 60 on the road. (GPS stated 60mph B.T.W.) It feels/sounds like its revving the crap out of the motor.:banana: