Sign in to follow this  

"Re-Pack" Wheel Bearings?

The wheel bearings on my KDX are the "sealed" type, you guys know what I'm talking about. They still rotate fine, I just want to give them a bit of grease. What's the best way to do this? I've tried just squirting grease around the rotating section as I spin it, and try to work it in there. It worked, but is there a better way? Are these bearings meant to be serviced? The manual basically just says replace if they're sticky, but I'm super anal about maintanence on my bike, I keep everything lubed up almost after every ride.

You take a razor blade and carefully pry, without bending, the seal and repack with grease then put the seal back on.

Little jeff

I always pry the seals out and pack the wheel bearings full of a good high quality grease before even installing them. I also re-grease them whenever I grease the linkage. It's very easy to do, I just use a small screwdriver to pop the seals out.

I use Belray saltwater-proof marine grease for all of my bearings.

Thanks guys! I'm guessing by the seal you mean the orange rubber part that's "part" of the bearing? I will pop those out and pack some grease in there.

You take a razor blade and carefully pry, without bending, the seal and repack with grease then put the seal back on.

Little jeff

What he said. Pry the outer part of the seal with the razor.

I use Belray saltwater-proof marine grease for all of my bearings.

Is that the regular Belray blue grease in the tub, that says "motorcycle, marine, automotive", or someting like that on it?

Is that the regular Belray blue grease in the tub, that says "motorcycle, marine, automotive", or someting like that on it?
Yep, that's the stuff. I have an old tub of it that actually says salt-water proof right on the label, the new ones just say water proof. But it's the same stuff.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Suspension&webCatId=13&webTypeId=396&prodFamilyId=4284&stockId=2339

Thoughts/ feelings on white lithium grease? I used it inside my odometer gear assembly, worked pretty well IMO.
I've never used it in any high-load applications, so I'm not really sure of it's suitability for wheel bearings. I would think no, because it's a dry lubricant. I can tell you that it freezes at 10*F, so I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that lives in cold climates.

I use lithium grease spray to lube my cables, kickstarter knuckle, foot peg pivots, and other things of that nature, because it's a dry lubricant so it doesn't attract dirt.

The lithium grease I use isn't really "dry" and I dont use the aerosol form. I use the kind that comes out of a squeeze tube. I'll pick up some of the Bel-Ray from my bike shop.