Sign in to follow this  

Piston help

So I need help to figure out what piston I need to get for my KLX300. I broke it while not paying attention when I was splitting the cases. I had a suggestion to get a big bore kit, but that just doesnt fit the budget. Who have you had luck from? Is wiseco seems reputable. Any other suggestions. Any help appreciated.

I have it narrowed down to the wiseco prolite piston kit. I can't find a stock je piston part number in any catalogs or websites unless I get it bored. Should I do it or go oem? How much performance can I get out of just the piston?

How much performance can I get out of just the piston?

Stock compression ratio is already at 11:1. For car engines, a guide is 3% power gain for each full point of compression increase. Look for better power in other areas, carb, exhaust. And get the suspension set up, unless all of your riding will be in a straight line on a smooth surface.

Ride on

Brewster

I appreciate all your expertise. So is that a go for the oem or is an aftermarket a better choice. Most of all I want longevity out of it.

Piston, it needs to be replaced, when pulling the cases apart I took the piston off and it rolled off the bench and dented the "wing" of the piston.

Piston, it needs to be replaced, when pulling the cases apart I took the piston off and it rolled off the bench and dented the "wing" of the piston.

Why don't you post a pic of the piston. A small ding in the piston skirt area might not be a big deal. Will the piston pass through the cylinder smoothly?

I'm not sure why I said dented before. It broke the wing off completely. Here are two pictures one showing the broke side other showing good side.

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

Why don't you post a pic of the piston. A small ding in the piston skirt area might not be a big deal. Will the piston pass through the cylinder smoothly?

OK, yeah you probably are gonna want to reaplace that one.

Is it just me, or does that piston look like it has some other gnarly gore going on close to the pin bosses? I'm also curious as to how the piston rolled off the work bench while still attached to the rod...and part of the case? That big rubber hammer in the background have anything to do with this?:ride:

Seriously though, are you going to bore the cylinder for the new piston?

I placed it back just to take the pictures. No it wasn't the hammer.

I don't know about gunk, someone else will have to chime in, I would love to do a big bore, but I don't want to fund it! I am replacing enough parts as it is and I'm trying to keep the price low. I will probably sell it off this fall after I ride I a little this spring/summer and put a down payment on a KTM anyway, I need a dual sport and Wa won't let you license the klx.

So really, oem piston or wiseco prolite or ? Anyothers?