Sign in to follow this  

Battery Issues...

I just went through this. Battery wouldn't hold a charge and when trying to start the bike it would drop down to 6-7 volts. Got the SSW bracket and a larger battery (YUSA) and it fixed it all.

Now the bike sits on a battery tender when not in use. I don't want this to be a common thing that happens. Costs too much $$$.

I see it all the time. Bike batteries don't always last. I have found that Wal-Mart brand... and "Interstate" batteries SUCK!!!! if they manage to take a charge out of the box, they will last one year. I have also found Die-Hard, and Yuasa to be the best. I've seen them last for 4 or 5 years without an issue.

Most of the GMB batteries (chef auto, Kregin auto, Auto Zone, Eveready, champion) seem to last 2 or 3 years.

Just my observations of the last 25 years of playing with bikes.

Most new bike batteries fail because the battery is not put into service correctly then to add insult to injury, is then left untended on the showroom floor. The bike is sold, the now dead and damaged battery is quick charged and you and the bike are shoved out the door. Next battery, get it dry and service it yourself, take your time and do it exactly right.

When I bought my DRZ, I was assured the battery had not been serviced yet as the bike had been on the floor close to one year. I got the bike home and found corrosion on the battery. Not serviced yet... bald faced lie, so typical. Nine months later it was dead. The replacement has had no problem firing up a 470 with RHC cams.

5 years (2005 model) with the same battery ! No battery tender !

Any long periods of storage? If you ride every day or so the battery will be charged. If it sits for periods of weeks or months, like over winter around here, it needs to be on a tender.

My battery ( `06S) is still going.... But is now installed in out yammy scoot. It was replaced in the Z after it got the bigger battery to start the 470 motor.

If taken care of correctly....It will last you a long time.....:ride::ride:

Erling

Any long periods of storage? If you ride every day or so the battery will be charged. If it sits for periods of weeks or months, like over winter around here, it needs to be on a tender.

Yes i use my bike almost every day , the most days my bike had to start was something like 2-3 days at '08 Christmas .

Yes i use my bike almost every day , the most days my bike had to start was something like 2-3 days at '08 Christmas .

That is the key. Most of us can't ride every day. That is why we need a tender. Ya lucky bastard.