Stabil in race gas

Dealer stated he filled the tank (Husky 4 stroke) with race gas. Didn't think to ask what kind. Given the weather and work schedule I don't think I will be riding for at least a couple of weeks. I always use pump premium. Can I add Stabil to race gas or could there be issues with compatibility?

for only a couple weeks i wouldn't sweat it. the gas should be fine.

Why is your dealer not using gas recommended for your bike?

Why is your dealer not using gas recommended for your bike?

Wondered the same. Maybe it was all they had around. They have a reputation for being a "race shop".

Race gas holds up better, i would drain the floot bowl if your bike has one. If not just go out and start it up once every week, should be fine.

Race gas holds up better, i would drain the floot bowl if your bike has one. If not just go out and start it up once every week, should be fine.

Thanks. That's what I'll do.

I don't think race gas goes bad like pump gas.

Race gas will last for over a year if it is stored in a sealed steel container. Never store race gas in a plastic jug. Plastic is porous and the light ends of the fuel will boil off and leach through the plastic. Also, leaded fuel is attacked and broken down by UV light so avoid translucent plastic race jugs.

Race gas will last for over a year if it is stored in a sealed steel container. Never store race gas in a plastic jug. Plastic is porous and the light ends of the fuel will boil off and leach through the plastic. Also, leaded fuel is attacked and broken down by UV light so avoid translucent plastic race jugs.

Well, it is in the gas tank (which is plastic of course) so I wonder if I should just drain the tank and put the fuel in my truck? If it sits in the gas tank for around 4 weeks total before I ride again will this be a problem?

what KIND of race gas.. VP MR9 is some nasty shit if left for long. Can gum up all kinds of stuff. Always run pump gas through when done as it WILL lock up a prefectly good fuel pump and leave gooey residue on valves. Been there.. done that.

That being said.. im sure there are many race fuels that are fine to be left for long periods but any oxygenated fuel is worthless (no better than pump gas and lost the big HP benefit) if left out of a sealed and lined container for very long. (VP mr9, U4, MR11, etc.)

Well, it is in the gas tank (which is plastic of course) so I wonder if I should just drain the tank and put the fuel in my truck? If it sits in the gas tank for around 4 weeks total before I ride again will this be a problem?

Do not use it in your truck if it is leaded. It will foul your O2 sensors. It won't harm anything if you leave it in your bike's tank, but you will lose some of the benefit of the race gas, mostly sharp throttle response. As stated, some race fuels have some bad side effects if not purged from the carb after each ride, but they are the most expensive race fuels available so I doubt that the shop put any of them in your bike.

what KIND of race gas.. VP MR9 is some nasty shit if left for long. Can gum up all kinds of stuff. Always run pump gas through when done as it WILL lock up a prefectly good fuel pump and leave gooey residue on valves. Been there.. done that.

That being said.. im sure there are many race fuels that are fine to be left for long periods but any oxygenated fuel is worthless (no better than pump gas and lost the big HP benefit) if left out of a sealed and lined container for very long. (VP mr9, U4, MR11, etc.)

Wish I knew exactly what kind they used.

Do not use it in your truck if it is leaded. It will foul your O2 sensors. It won't harm anything if you leave it in your bike's tank, but you will lose some of the benefit of the race gas, mostly sharp throttle response. As stated, some race fuels have some bad side effects if not purged from the carb after each ride, but they are the most expensive race fuels available so I doubt that the shop put any of them in your bike.

Thats right--talk about a brain fart! :ride: Thanks for reminding me! (Not to put it in my truck)

I am just going to leave it in the tank.